Topics

locked DT&I Study of 1975

George Eichelberger

Sorry attachment did not work for first attempt.

The attached is page 4 of a 1975 study of the DT&I by the Southern. The idea, revisited in 1977, was to expand the Southern north of Cincinnati at the beginning of the Conrail era for $18.161M additional SRS revenue.

Ike

A fascinating what-if scenario there.

Michael Shirey

 I will say this, I model a Modern Southern Railway from about 1982 to 1990,  and this is very informative information on the DT&I.  In my world the DT&I was merged into the Southern in 1983 in a 50/50 split with the GTW.  Again I know this group is for the Southern pre 1982.  But I just wanted to share my 2 Cents.

Michael Shirey
PCRRHS and SRHA Member

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 2:39 PM CMayhew <chris.mayhew611@...> wrote:
A fascinating what-if scenario there.

George Eichelberger

The DT&I had an important role for the Southern with auto parts traffic.

If an auto parts car was bad ordered at one of the parts or assembly plants in Michigan, it would be billed empty to Hayne Shop in Spartanburg for repairs or “re-complimenting” if missing DF equipment was the problem. Not only was the r/t deadhead mileage a problem, an assigned car would be out of service until it could be returned. That could be a real problem for special equipment that stayed with the car.

That, plus the fact a remarkable percentage of Southern cars never came “home” during their assignments*. The Southern had the DT&I do work on cars to save the trip to Spartanburg.

*For example, if a car was set up to move auto bodies, transmissions, whatever for a particular car model and the auto companies shifted assembly of that car to another plant (not in Atlanta) in the same pool, the rail car stayed in that pool with no mileage on the SRS. (Pool cars were loaded and sent as needed, no matter which road owned the car or its destination.)

Ike

PS for anyone interested in Southern 50’ box cars, I’m told there are only three copies of the first SRHA box car book (1938-1963) left in the Grab. I don’t expect we’ll see another printing until the revised and expanded 40’ box car book and the second (1963-1982) 50’ box car book.