locked Evaluation and Purchase of New Diesel Locomotives

Charles Harris

Hi
In 1946 Southern evaluated and tested the Ingalls 4-S  diesel loco.  The loco finally purchased by GM&O.

I expect there would have been evaluation reports and recommendations done by Southern.  George:  can you keep an eye out for any documentation during your travels thru all the Southern records.  Thanks.

Ingalls Iron Works in Birmingham AL had a hand in the build (together with Ingalls Shipbuilding MS)  In Birmingham the trackage went right by/thru? the Ingalls factory (on Avenue F ?).  There is a possibility that Ingalls would have had to get Southern permission to access the trackage for commissioning and testing.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Charles Harris

George Eichelberger

Charles:

While researching the Southern diesel book, I found a reference to the Ingalls locomotive. I will dig though what I've accumulated and see if I can find that reference.

We will also look in the Oscar Kimsey industrial loco photo file to see what it may have. Oscar's Industrial photos and negatives are as extensive as I have ever seen on the subject. If someone was interested, we could produce a book of Oscar's (and other) photos. A second collection, acquired by Oscar, includes large format negatives of industrial, short line and main line steam. Marvelous material!

Ike

Charles Harris

Hi Ike

Thanks for your email and offer to locate reference re Ingalls.  No hurry to locate just when you come across it again.

Regards

Charles

New Zealand