locked For the "naturalized" Floridian

George Eichelberger

I’ve had a similar conversation with the NS Engineering folks and the ACL/SALHS about what resolutions to use to scan microfilm aperture cards. Both groups told me they thought scanning at 300 dpi was sufficient, NS Engineering told me they used that resolution to save (!) memory. (Older scanners that can handle “decks” of aperture cards typically can only scan at 300 dpi.)

For the SRHA archives scans, including several hundred done from the ACL, SAL, CRR, etc. cards, we typically use 4,800 or even 9,600 DPI for microfilm. Lower resolution scans make dimensions and small details hard to see and may be too low quality for publication.

Also, other than reference scans of file documents using jpeg, we normally save scans as tiff files with no compression.

Sorry to go “technical” but evolving to digital archives needs to consider multiple factors.

Ike

On Jan 7, 2020, at 9:19 AM, Ed Mims <wemims@...> wrote:

George,

I have saved these for many years, probably from 1967 when John Hawthorn caused us to do a lot of house cleaning to get rid of the pre-merger drawings such as these. The use of the name “monogram” in the title of these is what I gave it and not necessarily that used by the ACL. The one with the purple background was scanned from a “purple folder” as the public timetables were referred to. I think this was the first use of purple on the ACL and dates back to the 1920s..

As you might already know most, if not all, of the ACL/SAL aperture cards have been scanned. The scans are not of the best quality. At least not the ones I have seen.

Ed
<ACL Logo from  Passenger Time Tables  (1).tif><ACL Monogram and Lettering   001.jpg><ACL Monogram and Lettering   002.jpg><ACL Monogram and Lettering   003.jpg><ACL Monogram and Lettering   004.jpg>