Topics

locked Future Wax Use

Allen Cain

This may be off topic but not sure where to ask this question.

When using Future Wax as a base for decals, what is the best way to apply it?
  • Brush on
  • Airbrush on
  • Spray on with a small pump sprayer?
And do I assume that you only apply it where a decal will be placed?

Pretty basic but I am new to this technique and appreciate any advice.  If off topic, please reply off list or suggest another list where I should post this, again, off list please to avoid cluttering things up.

Thanks in advance,

Allen Cain

Stuart Thayer

Allen,

I usually spray it on with an airbrush to give an overall even surface.  However if I only need to decal a small area sometimes I will brush it on where I need it.

Stuart Thayer

On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:51 PM, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

This may be off topic but not sure where to ask this question.

When using Future Wax as a base for decals, what is the best way to apply it?
  • Brush on
  • Airbrush on
  • Spray on with a small pump sprayer?
And do I assume that you only apply it where a decal will be placed?

Pretty basic but I am new to this technique and appreciate any advice.  If off topic, please reply off list or suggest another list where I should post this, again, off list please to avoid cluttering things up.

Thanks in advance,

Allen Cain

George Eichelberger

Allen:

You are correct, this is not the place to ask modeling technique questions….

Ike

On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:51 PM, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

This may be off topic but not sure where to ask this question.

When using Future Wax as a base for decals, what is the best way to apply it?
  • Brush on
  • Airbrush on
  • Spray on with a small pump sprayer?
And do I assume that you only apply it where a decal will be placed?

Pretty basic but I am new to this technique and appreciate any advice.  If off topic, please reply off list or suggest another list where I should post this, again, off list please to avoid cluttering things up.

Thanks in advance,

Allen Cain

Stuart Thayer

Ike,

When did that change?  We used to have lots of modeling discussions on this list before it moved over to Groups.io.

Stuart Thayer

On Apr 10, 2020, at 8:27 AM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Allen:

You are correct, this is not the place to ask modeling technique questions….

Ike

On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:51 PM, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

This may be off topic but not sure where to ask this question.

When using Future Wax as a base for decals, what is the best way to apply it?
  • Brush on
  • Airbrush on
  • Spray on with a small pump sprayer?
And do I assume that you only apply it where a decal will be placed?

Pretty basic but I am new to this technique and appreciate any advice.  If off topic, please reply off list or suggest another list where I should post this, again, off list please to avoid cluttering things up.

Thanks in advance,

Allen Cain

George Eichelberger

Stuart:

It never changed. SouthernRailway@groups.io is new, not moved from anywhere. The home page description of the group:

"A group to discuss, ask questions and provide historical and modeling information about the Southern Railway System its predecessors and subsidiaries. It will also be used to publish and distribute drawings, notes, photos and correspondence from users and the Southern Railway Historical Association's archives at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga, TN.”

…includes “modeling” but I tried to write it so people would see “Southern Railway” as opposed to general modeling topics. I have nothing against modeling (CG combine “Ft. Mitchell” and other projects are in progress on my work bench right now) but the idea was to have that reside on the “ModelingTheSouthern.io” group. (I assume people have to subscribe to that group separately.) That is also a SRHA sponsored group with the idea that we could post drawings and information there that would be more useful to modelers than folks on this group.

I admit ModelingTheSouthern does not get as much attention as it should but if people ask questions about Southern prototypes, post photos of their models, etc., we can make more use of it. The criteria there should be accurate (SR) prototype modeling as we can without undue nit picking….but to include useful “rivet counting”?

Please…jump on ModelingTheSouthern and participate!

Ike

On Apr 10, 2020, at 10:05 AM, Stuart Thayer via groups.io <StuThayer@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Seay

Recommend joining the Facebook group Southern Railway (U S of A) Modelers.

--Tom

Doug Alexander

If you want to ask modeling questions, come to the Southern Modelers page on Facebook.  We'll be glad to have you, and you can ask anything you want (as long as it pertains to modeling in general or modeling the Southern in particular.

And a note to Ike:  It would be awfully nice is this link could appear on the SRHA links section.  Just a thought. Emoji

Doug A.

--
Doug Alexander
Atlanta

Stuart Thayer

Sorry, I am not on Facebook.

Stuart Thayer

On Apr 10, 2020, at 12:03 PM, Doug Alexander <doug_alexander@...> wrote:

If you want to ask modeling questions, come to the Southern Modelers page on Facebook.  We'll be glad to have you, and you can ask anything you want (as long as it pertains to modeling in general or modeling the Southern in particular.

And a note to Ike:  It would be awfully nice is this link could appear on the SRHA links section.  Just a thought. Emoji

Doug A.

--
Doug Alexander
Atlanta

Brian Clark

Ike

Is that a private group?  The link does not work and the Groups.IO search does not show a public group with that name.

Brian

From: "main@SouthernRailway.groups.io" <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> on behalf of George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
Date: Friday, April 10, 2020 at 10:32 AM
To: "main@SouthernRailway.groups.io" <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Future Wax Use

[...]

Brian:

It certainly is not intended to be private??? There are a number of posts on it tho’ (nice photo of a Southern depressed center flat car and load, for example)…..

I’ll check, I could have screwed something up when I set it up!

Thanks for the heads up…

Ike

From: "main@SouthernRailway.groups.io" <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> on behalf of George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
Date: Friday, April 10, 2020 at 10:32 AM
To: "main@SouthernRailway.groups.io" <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>

[...]

My most heart felt apologies to all that I may have offended by asking this question here.

And thanks to those who offered their help.

Allen Cain

George Eichelberger

Allen:

C’mon…you're among (Southern) friends here. No apologies are due anyone.

Ike

On Apr 10, 2020, at 1:57 PM, Allen Cain <allencaintn@...> wrote:

Ike,

My most heart felt apologies to all that I may have offended by asking this question here.

And thanks to those who offered their help.

Allen Cain

Allen Cain

Ike,

I know, just having a little fun.

Allen Cain

Almufti Hishman

Hi Allen,

There is a Southern Modeler's group on Groups.io

SouthernRailway | ModelingTheSouthern

I would be happy to tell you there that I mostly brush Future, it levels well and dries thin.

Regards,
Jeff Oliver

Curtis Brookshire

Re: ModelingTheSouthern: I found it. It's a subgroup. Look at your io.groups menu while logged in to this site and click on "subgroups". You should find ModelingTheSouthern.
Good luck,
Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level, NC

George Eichelberger