locked Gift and Challenge

George Eichelberger

The new SRHA scanner is in service at the archives. As expected, it does a superb job on our large drawings (linens and blueprints).

I’ve uploaded the full size, full resolution scan for drawing SF-1013, a “Plain Box Car” drawn July 5, 1905. The drawing does not include what car series the drawing is for but the index of SR drawings shown on the print strongly suggest this is not a car proposed by one of the car builders. (As cars got more complex, the index was left off most drawings after about 1906-7.) That’s the “gift”…

The “challenge” includes several opportunities to display models built from the drawing:
Next year’s SRHA (twice postponed) convention in Richmond, VA, next year’s joint meeting with the L&NHS at their annual convention at TVRM, AND to be on display in the future TVRM museum building across the (Turntable Road) street from the archives. Models can be of any scale, including 12”:1’. (A partial cut away model of a “WUF” would be interesting.) I expect the various drawings, plus trucks, are in the archives but we will ask for a donation if anyone wants them all. The Google Drive link to the (177 MB) drawing is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oGLl1PKvtG_ZviFJRLcz56RR71ZcodJg/view?usp=sharing

Ike

PS Donations for things like $7,000+ scanners are always welcome, and needed.

A&Y Dave in MD

challenge accepted. My gift is on the way.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott's iPhone

On Sep 29, 2021, at 7:22 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

[...]

John Willis

George,

The file is too large to download. It also has returned this message: the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Resize the image to something smaller than 156 MB.

John

John C. Willis

Mobile, Al

A&Y Dave in MD

i was able to view it.

Sent from Dave Bott's iPhone

On Sep 29, 2021, at 7:42 PM, John Willis <willisjc@zebra.net> wrote:

George,

The file is too large to download. It also has returned this message: the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Resize the image to something smaller than 156 MB.

John

John C. Willis

Mobile, Al

George Eichelberger

John:

Ignore the first two messages you get and it will simply let you download the file when you check that. It’s “real” and there are no “bugs” in it.

Ike

On Sep 29, 2021, at 7:42 PM, John Willis <willisjc@zebra.net> wrote:

George,

The file is too large to download. It also has returned this message: the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Resize the image to something smaller than 156 MB.

John

John C. Willis

Mobile, Al

aramsay18

Thanks for sending the link.

No trouble downloading or viewing it.

It is an absolutely beautiful old-style engineering drawing.  Many. many hours of mechanical engineering design time went into producing it.

Regards from Berryville VA
Andy Ramsay

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 7:22 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
[...]

Eric Schrowang

George,
Is there any way to see these as a PDF? I would love to move these to AutoCad and plot them to scale.

Eric

[...]

Eric:

I don’t know what the effect of the smaller PDF file will be on the resolution of the drawing but here is another Google Drive link. Let us know how the conversion to AutoCad goes.

(I realize that 177MB .tiff files are not the easiest to work with but fullsize 200 or 300 dpi scans give us “archival” quality images to work with. While scanning technology will improve, we have these to work with and the original drawings can sit in their files until we need to scan them again. PS: I scanned some of the drawings at 8 bit color, not greyscale. Although the drawings are not color, it does appear to be easier to adjust the scan contrast and color levels starting from 8-bit color image although keeping everything in that format would require huge amount of storage for an archives the size of SRHA’s.)

I also realize most modelers, Southern and otherwise, focus on “transition era” or later prototypes but amazing work can be done with early “steam era” rolling stock as well. There are only a few companies doing kits from casting but good quality drawings could “bend the curve” backwards in time for what (Southern and Central of Georgia) prototypes are available. (The CG linens are in the SRHA archives.)

Ike

PS If anyone takes the scan to have a full size drawing made, give the group an idea what it cost. (I have found that most D size drawings can be reduced to 11”x17” @ 300 dpi that can be produced on standard ink-jet printers. That size is still very readable and much more convenient on the work bench.)

On Sep 30, 2021, at 7:53 AM, Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Queener

Hi Ike,

SF-1013 is the Haskell & Barker built version of the 30 Ton Standard Boxcar shown on SF-1002. SF-1013 is referenced on F Card F-13, Column A, as the general arrangement drawing for SR box cars numbered 13100 to 14099. From my research among the aperture cards, the SRHA has almost every part drawing for one of these cars. These have already been scanned, and should be on the hard drive of the main archives computer.

I used general arrangement SF-1002, which you very kindly gave me access to several years ago, along with Card F-15, column A, to create my AutoCAD drawings of one of these cars, namely AC&F built car #15873, from which I based by F scale kit. I am now working up a SolidWorks version of the same for a much improved, and more detailed, 1/20th scale kit.

I should add that the main differences between the Haskell & Barker car and the AC&F version are the cast steel body bolster and draft rigging that H&B used, necessitating different spacing of the intermediate sills. H&B also omitted the Jones door hardware and most likely the sheet metal hood covering the door track in favor of their own hardware, for which the SRHA has a part drawing.

Here are pics of two of these cars:

Cheers,

Dave Queener

(865) 209-5654 (c)

--
Owner, Cumberland Model Engineering
www.CumberlandModelEngineering.com  (865) 333-5712

Pastor, St. Paul Presbyterian Church
www.StPaulPres.com  (865) 209-5654

All:

SRHA member Dave Queener has done some super work organizing, scanning and using material in the archives. His work spans from the wooden car era to organizing the EMD and ALCo drawings and aperture cards. His “F” scale work is outstanding! I’ve tried to convince him to use his CAD/CAM and machine shop expertise to produce trucks and parts and castings, up to complete kits. (All started with him going to the SRHA archives….)

I hope several of his F scale models will find a home in the new TVRM museum.

If anyone in the group has similar interests, I suggest contacting him (off line).

Ike

On Sep 30, 2021, at 10:59 AM, Dave Queener <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

<SR 15873 Wooden Boxcar (1).jpg>

<SR 183318(crop).jpeg>

Cheers,

Dave Queener

(865) 209-5654 (c)

George Eichelberger

I’ve attached two examples from Card Index ("F-Card”) F-13 that Dave mentioned. Virtually all of the F-Cards for Southern railway freight cars and passenger cars (P-Cards) are in the SRHA archives. As you can see from David’s research, they are the “Rosetta Stone” for using the rolling stock drawings.

F-13 is somewhat unusual because it includes drawings for three different series of cars using the same basic design. As he mentioned, SF-1013 is shown for cars 13100 to 14099. (Most drawings do not specify the cars they illustrate, the Card Lists are invaluable.)

Card lists are typically about seven pages using a standard form for all types of cars. Thus blank entries are not missing drawings, that item is not used on the Card’s car. The form changed from the wooden to steel car eras.

Ike

PS We have been thinking about doing an on-line presentation of drawings and many other topics. Without help getting things like that done, guessing at a schedule is not possible.