locked History Book?

Clark Barrow

Hello, I am interested in reading about the history of Southern Railway. Can anyone suggest a book like this? I did an online service and it mostly brings up illustrated history books, but I am looking for the stories about the operations, management, mergers, etc. Something like a novel, but non-fiction of course. Thanks!

A&Y Dave in MD

Clark,

Southern Railway: The Road of the Innovators by Burke Davis is like that.   You may also enjoy "The Great Richmond Terminal: Foundation of The Southern Railway" by Maury Klein.  They can be found for reasonable prices in used bookstores (or online at Alibris, Abe's Books, or sometimes Amazon and eBay).

Dave

Friday, June 24, 2022, 4:30:21 PM, you wrote:

Hello, I am interested in reading about the history of Southern Railway. Can anyone suggest a book like this? I did an online service and it mostly brings up illustrated history books, but I am looking for the stories about the operations, management, mergers, etc. Something like a novel, but non-fiction of course. Thanks!

Charles Harris

Hi Dave

Looks like you have a great knowledge on transport books.

Looking for historical data on  Robert Macy Naval Architect and Engineer.  Wrote a lot of books on ship safety.  I would like to locate a historical history of his career including times at Ingalls Shipbuilding. Also noted for designing the Ingalls 4-S diesel loco in 1946.   This loco probably ran on Southern trackage out of Decatur where the Iron Works associated factory (Birmingham Tank Co), appears to have been located on the Southern Railroad trackage.

Thankyou

Charles Harris

On 25/06/22 11:03, A&Y Dave in MD wrote:

Clark,

Southern Railway: The Road of the Innovators by Burke Davis is like that.   You may also enjoy "The Great Richmond Terminal: Foundation of The Southern Railway" by Maury Klein.  They can be found for reasonable prices in used bookstores (or online at Alibris, Abe's Books, or sometimes Amazon and eBay).

Dave

Friday, June 24, 2022, 4:30:21 PM, you wrote:

Hello, I am interested in reading about the history of Southern Railway. Can anyone suggest a book like this? I did an online service and it mostly brings up illustrated history books, but I am looking for the stories about the operations, management, mergers, etc. Something like a novel, but non-fiction of course. Thanks!

James Walton

If you can find it, Richard Prince's book on the Southern's steam locos is a must-have. Curt Thompson's books on steam and diesel may be worth a look as well.

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC

Robert Richardson

Curt Tillotson

Robert Richardson

Henderson, NC

MP S114.5

[...]

Tillotson and Prince are great but essentially equipment data resources relying heavily on locomotive photos and rosters/diagrams. Prince covers the predecessor and subsidiary roads. He also addresses steam ships mostly from the affiliated Clyde interests on the east coast. Tillotson just loved the line. Both loved steam, but Tillotson ventured into photos of diesels. Prince never cared for infernal combustion. Another good photo book is Ranks and Lowe’s Southern Steam Power.

I do like history. I majored in the history and philosophy of science and technology. I have read many of the histories of various transcontinental railroad creation efforts from Empire Express to the Panama Canal Railway. I’ve read a fair bit on railroads as the first corporation and the source of standard time (Schivelbush’s Railway Journey covers that).  The Burke and Klein books are the best for the Southern. Burke focuses upon the Presidents with a little  biography and a focus on the decisions they faced and the way each put their stamp on the Southern. Klein focuses on the overall financial environment and business strategies that lead to the formation of the Southern by the New York bankers through Spencer.

I enjoy data and stories. I mostly read histories of 1870-1950 North America, but not much on ships.  I tend to devote any extra time to the Southern data snd modeling.

Sent from Dave Bott's iPhone

On Jun 25, 2022, at 7:16 AM, Robert Richardson <seaboard@...> wrote:

Curt Tillotson

Robert Richardson

Henderson, NC

MP S114.5

[...]

David Carpenter

Clark,

Fairfax Harrison’s History of the Legal Development of the Southern Railway details the mergers, etc. SRHA found a number of them unbound and bound them 20-30 years ago along with the update (Vol 2) and maybe 3? Harrison was President of the Southern.

David

On Jun 24, 2022, at 4:30 PM, Clark Barrow <clark.barrow@...> wrote:

Hello, I am interested in reading about the history of Southern Railway. Can anyone suggest a book like this? I did an online service and it mostly brings up illustrated history books, but I am looking for the stories about the operations, management, mergers, etc. Something like a novel, but non-fiction of course. Thanks!

aramsay18

Hello Clark and others

Here's a good starting point for Harrison's history. He starts with the Southern's predecessors such as the Richmond & Danville, beginning at the time of the Civil War.

This volume covers SRW history from 1827 to 1899. As noted, there are a number of additional volumes and supplements.

Very interesting.  This is only a good starting point, there is a lot to the history of the SRW.

In particular as to the R&D Harrison's Part II, Chapters 1 and 2, and Part III, Chapters 1, 2, and 3 define how the core of what would in 1894 become the SRW was formed.

It was the R&D that laid the groundwork.

Some volumes are available on Amazon (for IMO exorbitant prices) but you probably can do better with ABE books etc. if you want hardcopies.

This volume is available as a free download of a PDF of this 1523 page book. Or it can be read online for free.

Good luck with your search, let's keep in touch to compare notes.

I'm seeking material detailing how J. P. Morgan established the SRW as a corporate entity working with Samuel Spencer in 1893 and 1894.  (Very unfortunately for the Southern and the US railroad industry in general, Spencer was killed in a train accident in Nov. 1906.)

Best Regards from Berryville Virginia

Andy Ramsay

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 9:21 AM David Carpenter via groups.io <dcarp=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Clark,

Fairfax Harrison’s History of the Legal Development of the Southern Railway details the mergers, etc. SRHA found a number of them unbound and bound them 20-30 years ago along with the update (Vol 2) and maybe 3? Harrison was President of the Southern.

David

> On Jun 24, 2022, at 4:30 PM, Clark Barrow <clark.barrow@...> wrote:
>
> Hello, I am interested in reading about the history of Southern Railway. Can anyone suggest a book like this? I did an online service and it mostly brings up illustrated history books, but I am looking for the stories about the operations, management, mergers, etc. Something like a novel, but non-fiction of course. Thanks!

C J Wyatt

I think a biography of Samuel Spencer would be an interesting book / history PhD dissertation.

Jack Wyatt