locked Hogshead cars

D. Scott Chatfield

A few questions about the ever popular hogshead cars.

1)  Where they ever in interchange service?  Especially in their original role of hauling tobacco "hogsheads".

2) I think most of them spent their later years hauling tires, especially from the plant near Spartanburg.  When did that start?  When did they last haul tobacco?  Were they used for anything else?

Scott Chatfield

Jason Greene

They would have worked well in coke service. Knock the sky lights out and unload through the side doors.

Just kidding of course.

Were they not used in the furniture industry after tobacco service?

Bob Graham said they were tested in beer can service, delivering empty cans to the Miller plant in NC I believe. Maybe he can refresh the story.

Jason Greene

On May 25, 2020, at 10:04 PM, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

A few questions about the ever popular hogshead cars.

1)  Where they ever in interchange service?  Especially in their original role of hauling tobacco "hogsheads".

2) I think most of them spent their later years hauling tires, especially from the plant near Spartanburg.  When did that start?  When did they last haul tobacco?  Were they used for anything else?

Scott Chatfield

C J Wyatt

I saw them in the early 1990s at the Goodyear Plant in Topeka KS.

Jack Wyatt

On Monday, May 25, 2020, 10:27:24 PM EDT, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

A few questions about the ever popular hogshead cars.

1)  Where they ever in interchange service?  Especially in their original role of hauling tobacco "hogsheads".

2) I think most of them spent their later years hauling tires, especially from the plant near Spartanburg.  When did that start?  When did they last haul tobacco?  Were they used for anything else?

Scott Chatfield

Robert Graham

Absolutely they were in interchange service. They (all 3 types; original Coster Shop built dutch roof single door & flat roof single door; and P-S built flat roof double door) were in use hauling tobacco in and around the flue cured belt area in north central NC and southside VA for years, well into the post-NS merger era in the mid 1980's. A fair number even got NS paint and reporting marks. They also were seen in and around Lexington KY at the burley leaf processing plants of the major tobacco mfr's. Their classic, and original purpose was hauling tobacco for export to the Port of Morehead City NC, replacing 40 ft boxcars in that service. Most hauling of tobacco hogsheads ceased after the start of NC imposed a leaf processing tax by poundage on tobacco ageing and processing. This had the almost immediate effect of closing significant leaf processing facilities of major tobacco products mfr's (note that this did NOT affect production of retail tobacco products) and resulted in a surplus of these cars in the NS fleet. They finished their service lives early in the 21st century hauling truck and aircraft tires from Goodyear's Danville VA plant and believe it or not, hauling aluminum can coil stock on pallets to my employer's can plant in Reidsville NC; we had 6 of the P-S built double door cars in assigned service from Reynolds Metals Co Lister Hill Alabama to Reynolds Metals Can & End Plant in Reidsville NC. NS gave us a 50ft boxcar rate on these cars for an 85 ft IL car, that allowed us to place 3 additional coil pallets in them over the 60 ft double door cars were had been using. We ceased shipping by rail in 1998 by new owner edict. Goodyear ceased shipping tires in these cars in the early 2000's, and decided to ship products by truck. The cars disappeared from our area shortly thereafter; most had been in service for 40 years.

Bob Graham

From: Robert Graham <rgraham2@...>

James,

[...]

Thanks for the replies about the Hogshead cars.  Very educational.  Completely outside of my work at the Southern in intermodal.

If memory serves we did have some tire shipments by piggyback into the Atlanta ramp.  Goodyear was a customer, but they make more than just tires.

In the '80s and '90s Michelin shipped 50-foot boxcars of tires to a bonded warehouse in Norcross on the Stone Mountain Lead.  Mostly Railboxes if I recall correctly.

Scott Chatfield