locked Hydra cushion underframe & 20" cushioned coupler

George Eichelberger

And …. getting to more prototypical draft gear on models is a great concept! (Is a 2-56 screw really needed for HO couplers?)

Going back to the photo of Southern 115757. That group of Southern cars has quite a (steam era) history. Sou 115750-115774 are shown as “70-Ton Transformer Cars (Low Bulkhead) on freight car diagram book page* 33-F-77. The “CUF” was added by Evans Products as the cars were rebuilt (for the second time) from Sou 50-T wood racks Sou 122998-123499 (rblt Spencer ’55), Sou 120998-122997 and Sou 250400-250599 (rblt Coster ’56 & ’57) and Sou 301300-301343 (rblt Coster 1957) (Sou diag book page 31-F-97).

The wood racks were Coster Shop (Knoxville) rebuilds from 50-T DDB (double drop bottom) gondola series 175000-176344 and Sou 315700-315949. (Southern gons of the period were typically called “coal cars”.)

Virtually all of the original drawings, as-built and re-built, are in the SRHA archives but not every drawing was redrawn for the rebuilds so all of the versions of the cars need to be researched to model the transformer cars. With some research, we could go back and see what the original underframe/center sill drawings show.

Ike

PS Is there any interest in SRHA publishing an earlier version of the Southern freight car diagram book than we have available now?

Curt Fortenberry

Is the 40' boxcar book still coming?

Curt Fortenberry

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 8:21 AM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
[...]

O Fenton Wells

An earlier version of the diagram book would interest me if by earlier you mean older cars. SU boxcars both 36 and 40 ft versions, wood cabooses, stock cars, vent cars and many older cars. Having said that, I’m older than many SR fans and not sure how much the rest of the audience shares my opinion.
One manufacturer said the SR cars in the block Southern were out selling the black RR Roman lettered cars. I was surprised and realized I am old
My 2 cents
Fenton

On Feb 3, 2022, at 12:21 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

[...]

Ed Burnett

I agree with Brother Wells, I'm interested in 1950's and back. A book of diagrams dealing with cars of the steam/transition era would be of interest to me. Of course, we are probably in the same demographic! -Ed Burnett, Lynchburg, Virginia

On 02/03/2022 12:36 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

[...]

All:

Great stuff...good questions!

The revised version of the 40' box car book is far along! With so much going on at the archives, TRVM and even a little bit of SR modeling, dedicating time to it has been difficult. Version 2 is far different (better?) than  V1. So much more 40' box car data, esp. rebuilds, has been located in the archives, my problem now is the draft is too large! The Southern's 40' box car rebuild programs were extensive. Between rebuild photos and the "nuts and bolts" of the rebuilds, we have some superb material that will be useful to modelers and everyone else.

I can't promise but I'll try to have a PDF of the draft of the book at the Feb archives work session. Best guess??, we may be able to get it published this Summer. The NS Print Shop has done work for us (at cost) twice. With the move to the new building, etc., etc. I don't know if we'll have to find a different printer. Any candidates on the list?

There are several other SRHA publications in the works right now: the earlier version of the Southern freight car diagram book, the Southern freight car equipment manual, and more rolling stock books. The first thing to be available very shortly is a 303 page Southern freight car assignment book circa 1975. That includes multiple other railroads' cars assigned to shippers on the Southern or as part of pools that include Southern.

I also want to see SRHA produce more of the "plan packs". We tried to do cars that corresponded to what WrightTrak was doing at the time. At trains shows, most people that bought one of the kits from SRHA., also bought the plan pack, usually about 20 single side tabloid pages.

A minor factoid about Southern diagram books. Although we have steam loco diagram books going back to before the SR itself, the railroad apparently did not produce freight car books until some time in the late 50s/early 60s.

Does anybody know of such a thing?

Ike

On Feb 3, 2022, at 12:44 PM, Ed Burnett <ctwrwy@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim King

To me, the give-away that this was made from an old car is the trucks.  They have chilled (inner ribs) and a spring plank, making them, I think, a Barber S-2-A that appeared in the late 1930s.  I'm producing the Milwaukee full-length rib side box in S scale now and this truck was used under these cars that debuted in 1939.  In 1945-ish, MILW was using the same truck but with non-ribbed wheels.  Spring planks disappeared in the late 40s with the advent of better-tracking trucks, like the super-common ASF Ride Control with deep spring cavity.

Barry Kimble

I’m with Fenton on this, (I must be old too)
I would be all in on an earlier version book.
Same interests in SU, early automobile cars, stock cars, vents, and any conversions that took place.
Sorry for the late reply, getting caught up on email.
Barry

On Feb 3, 2022, at 12:36 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

[...]

A&Y Dave in MD

Same here. There is probably less standard and uniform info on Southern freight cars prior to WWII, so having the info available generates interest in the young. I’m old but not old enough to have lived in that time. I just had people share info and that got me interested. If you didn’t live then, you need valid info available to get interested. Otherwise we wouldn’t have history, just nostalgia for a lost youth.

Sent from Dave Bott's iPhone

On Feb 13, 2022, at 9:09 AM, Barry Kimble <southernry@...> wrote:

[...]

Evan Whatley

I would love to see a diagram book for freight cars covering the late 40s and early 50s. I'm sure there must of been a diagram book of fright cars keeps prior to 1960.

Another interesting project might be digitizing the freight car register for each year. That way you can link between years anad annotate additions, deletions, or modifications.
--
-Evan Whatley

George Eichelberger

I know I’ve asked before….Does anyone on the list do printing and binding? The NS print shop has done work for SRHA before (as a non-profit) but with all the changes and the move to Atlanta, I don’t know what we can plan on nowadays?

I expect with the L&NHS moving in next door, things will be busy at this week’s archives work session but we have multiple major projects either underway or needing to be organized. Once a project is organized, some work can be done “off site” in addition to at the archives.

(Contact archives@... if you plan to be there. Please be vaccinated/wear a mask if you come.)

One project that comes to mind….many SR employee and public timetables have been scanned. If someone can de-skew and crop the scans, we can publish all of them on a DVD. Many examples from various Southern operating divisions…over many years are scanned and ready to finish.

Ike