Topics

moderated Industries between Morristown and Asheville.

I was curious if anyone had a list of industries between Morristown and Asheville. That line intrigued me ( oldest kid lived near it for a few years ) and I would like to know more about it.

thanks in advance 

Todd P

Tim

A good place to start is a Tennessee Division employee timetable (ETT) for the period you're interested in. Look for the "Business Tracks and Stations Not Shown ..." table near the back of the ETT. The only downfall is that won't list businesses that are in the listed towns (stations).

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Robert Hanson

Another would be an Industrial Directory, of you can find one.

It would list the businesses in each town, what they shipped/received, and, if the town was served by more than one railroad, the road on which it was located and whether or not the business was open to reciprocal switching.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Feb 13, 2020 11:27 am
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Industries between Morristown and Asheville.

A good place to start is a Tennessee Division employee timetable (ETT) for the period you're interested in. Look for the "Business Tracks and Stations Not Shown ..." table near the back of the ETT. The only downfall is that won't list businesses that are in the listed towns (stations).

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Allen Cain

Todd,

I have several Sanborn maps.  If you tell me the time period and a list of some of the main towns I may be able to help.

Allen Cain

sgwarner88@...

I used to have Industrial track book that listed all the stations.  N&W had a different system but I believe that SR used a Line MP system.  I do not recall if they listed specific industries, though, and left it in my files when I retired, not knowing that NS would later destroy most of these documents.  

I suspect that a Knoxville Division Timetable (SRHS has a file) would have many or at least some in the Industry Track section, but one would have to know the era in which you are interested.

Thanks all! I am thinking as late as the late 70’s earliest would be 20-30’s.

I’ll look for the industry book, and the TT. 

I have been starting to collect more Southern TT’s, this gives me an excuse to get more.

Thanks again guys. 

Todd

On Feb 13, 2020, at 11:25 AM, sgwarner88@... wrote:

I used to have Industrial track book that listed all the stations.  N&W had a different system but I believe that SR used a Line MP system.  I do not recall if they listed specific industries, though, and left it in my files when I retired, not knowing that NS would later destroy most of these documents.  

I suspect that a Knoxville Division Timetable (SRHS has a file) would have many or at least some in the Industry Track section, but one would have to know the era in which you are interested.

George Eichelberger

SRHA is in the process of scanning ETTs in the archives and others loaned for the project. I don’t know how many ETTs and PTTs have been scanned so far but it is a large number that covers many years and different divisions. We expect to make complete sets available when the project is complete.

As always, help is needed to work on that, and other projects at this weekend’s archives work session.

Ike

On Feb 13, 2020, at 12:54 PM, Thunder via Groups.Io <t_pearson1212@...> wrote:

Thanks all! I am thinking as late as the late 70’s earliest would be 20-30’s.

I’ll look for the industry book, and the TT. 

I have been starting to collect more Southern TT’s, this gives me an excuse to get more.

Thanks again guys. 

Todd

On Feb 13, 2020, at 11:25 AM, sgwarner88@... wrote:

RamblingReck

The Jefferson City area had zinc mines. My brother-in-law was a geologist there in the late 1960’s to early 1970’s. I’m not at all sure about railroad traffic.

John Ryan

Sent from the iPhone of the Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech

--
John Ryan

I can’t remember the town now, but it was north of Dandridge and I recall seeing a coal mine there.

I should have taken notes, but I was busy trying to find a place . Next time I’ll write it down.
Todd

On Feb 13, 2020, at 8:11 PM, RamblingReck <ramblingreck@...> wrote:

The Jefferson City area had zinc mines. My brother-in-law was a geologist there in the late 1960’s to early 1970’s. I’m not at all sure about railroad traffic.

John Ryan

Sent from the iPhone of the Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech

--
John Ryan

Evan Miller

In Diesels of the Southern Railway 1939-1982, there is a photo on page 53 of NW2 2280 and TR2B 2454 working the Jefferson City Zinc mine on August 14, 1958. On page 52 it shows the two engines on a local south of Jefferson City. Just behind the engines are about 12 empty hoppers and some other freight cars further back.

-Evan Miller

Thanks Evan! I think I have that one in the collection. 

Time to go look.

Todd

On Feb 15, 2020, at 6:00 PM, Evan Miller via Groups.Io <nsrailfan82@...> wrote:

In Diesels of the Southern Railway 1939-1982, there is a photo on page 53 of NW2 2280 and TR2B 2454 working the Jefferson City Zinc mine on August 14, 1958. On page 52 it shows the two engines on a local south of Jefferson City. Just behind the engines are about 12 empty hoppers and some other freight cars further back.

-Evan Miller