locked Iron Ore trains from.... and 1985 titanium ore train(s)

Mark Demaline

And in late April, 1985, on a cloudy day, I chased & photographed Southern titanium ore train south of Charlottesville, with all D&H hoppers, which I'm 99% certain originated at the
mine at Tahawus NY. The mine had been closed, but they were finishing removing the stockpiled ore. I assumed it was going to Gadsden or Birmingham, possibly for processing for
the Carpenter Tech facility in Athens, which produces specialty titanium parts for the aircraft, aerospace, and other industrial uses.  I never did find out the actual destination.  But it
was a great train to obtain some photos of.  Only having seen one of these trains on the Southern this one time, I was never sure if it was a regular, or only a one-time, move.

Corrections, more info, and clarifications always welcome,   Mark D

-----Original Message-----

Mobile ore movements. I was Trainmaster at Mobile 1970-71. Best I can recall, we moved both red ore and some pellet ore at that time. At one point, some pellet  ore moved in Big Red coal hoppers weighing out long before cubing out. Ore moved on train 154. 154 left Mobile with the two engines that came in on local 69 then swapped power with 153 (4 GPs) at their meeting point. Two GPs handled 5,000 tons so 154 was filled out with ore to the tonnage limit. It would take a number days to move ore.  When at maximum tonnage, the yard engine, normally a GP-30, would shove 154 over the hill just north of the yard. All power was GP.

Reportedly, a  predecessor, who had connections in the control center, arranged to run an extra without clearing it with the superintendent. He got in serious trouble.
_._,_._,_

John Stewart

Hi folks

Neat story.  Got a picture?

John

John R Stewart

www.bhamrails.info

205-901-3790

image004

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Demaline via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:12 AM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Iron Ore trains from.... and 1985 titanium ore train(s)

And in late April, 1985, on a cloudy day, I chased & photographed Southern titanium ore train south of Charlottesville, with all D&H hoppers, which I'm 99% certain originated at the

mine at Tahawus NY. The mine had been closed, but they were finishing removing the stockpiled ore. I assumed it was going to Gadsden or Birmingham, possibly for processing for

the Carpenter Tech facility in Athens, which produces specialty titanium parts for the aircraft, aerospace, and other industrial uses.  I never did find out the actual destination.  But it

was a great train to obtain some photos of.  Only having seen one of these trains on the Southern this one time, I was never sure if it was a regular, or only a one-time, move.

Corrections, more info, and clarifications always welcome,   Mark D

-----Original Message-----

Mobile ore movements. I was Trainmaster at Mobile 1970-71. Best I can recall, we moved both red ore and some pellet ore at that time. At one point, some pellet  ore moved in Big Red coal hoppers weighing out long before cubing out. Ore moved on train 154. 154 left Mobile with the two engines that came in on local 69 then swapped power with 153 (4 GPs) at their meeting point. Two GPs handled 5,000 tons so 154 was filled out with ore to the tonnage limit. It would take a number days to move ore.  When at maximum tonnage, the yard engine, normally a GP-30, would shove 154 over the hill just north of the yard. All power was GP.

Reportedly, a  predecessor, who had connections in the control center, arranged to run an extra without clearing it with the superintendent. He got in serious trouble.