-----Original Message-----
From: John Stewart <jstew@...>

Hi folks

Neat story.  Got a picture?

John

John R Stewart
205-901-3790

From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Demaline via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:12 AM
And in late April, 1985, on a cloudy day, I chased & photographed Southern titanium ore train south of Charlottesville, with all D&H hoppers, which I'm 99% certain originated at the
mine at Tahawus NY. The mine had been closed, but they were finishing removing the stockpiled ore. I assumed it was going to Gadsden or Birmingham, possibly for processing for
the Carpenter Tech facility in Athens, which produces specialty titanium parts for the aircraft, aerospace, and other industrial uses.  I never did find out the actual destination.  But it
was a great train to obtain some photos of.  Only having seen one of these trains on the Southern this one time, I was never sure if it was a regular, or only a one-time, move.

Corrections, more info, and clarifications always welcome,   Mark D

George Eichelberger

Mark:

We allow attachments on both the “SouthernRailway” and “ModelingThe Southern” groups. The time will probably come when we get to the limit of allowed storage and some items will have to be removed. Until then…thanks for the photo!

Ike
PS I convert anything I post to the jpeg format to reduce the image size. In many cases, I can send a higher resolution tiff image if needed.

On Jun 17, 2020, at 7:59 PM, Mark Demaline via groups.io <conductor7@...> wrote:

Not sure if the io.groups site will strip attachments or not, but attached is one scan of the
train, at Mitchell VA. on April 27,1985.

I saw & photographed him first at the Route 29 o/p at Culpepper, and chased him south to
Red Hill VA. My notes & slides show he ran as a #141. He was making some serious noise
coming up out of those dips, and thru the S-curves @ Hickory Grove.

~ Mark

And in late April, 1985, on a cloudy day, I chased & photographed Southern titanium ore train south of Charlottesville, with all D&H hoppers, which I'm 99% certain originated at the
mine at Tahawus NY. The mine had been closed, but they were finishing removing the stockpiled ore. I assumed it was going to Gadsden or Birmingham, possibly for processing for
the Carpenter Tech facility in Athens, which produces specialty titanium parts for the aircraft, aerospace, and other industrial uses.  I never did find out the actual destination.  But it
was a great train to obtain some photos of.  Only having seen one of these trains on the Southern this one time, I was never sure if it was a regular, or only a one-time, move.

Corrections, more info, and clarifications always welcome,   Mark D

<SOU.#141.D&H ore train.3300-3122-3141.Mitchell VA.04.27.85c.Mark Demaline photo.copyrt 2020..jpg>