Topics

locked Jim Crow in Alabama

George Eichelberger

One of the “passenger train” files I found in the President’s Files in the archives this past Sunday (Box 509A, File 7) was only about passenger segregation 1945-1950.

The SouthernRailway.io list has included several items on “Jim Crow” in the past. Here is a scan of Alabama PSC Rule T-18 from 1946.

Ike

PS Could I ask for some feedback on the contents of the list, particularly items from the SRHA archives, either to the list or as “private” messages?
Also, what are the opinions about providing archives material to non-SRHA members, here or in any form?

rwbrv4

PS Could I ask for some feedback on the contents of the list, particularly items from the SRHA archives, either to the list or as “private” messages?
Also, what are the opinions about providing archives material to non-SRHA members, here or in any form?
These items are historically priceless.  I feel that if I have enough interest to request items then I should be a member of the organization.  The benefits of being a member is getting the "history" in the quarterly Ties magazine, as well as what comes from the archives.  I know someone living in Washington state can't make it to Archive work sessions, but can support the organization in other ways.
Just my opinion.
Rick

Matt Bumgarner

:My personal opinion is that some items are great as "teasers" which can inspire interest  in the subject matter.
But when it comes to meat and potatoes, I agree with Rick, one should be a member of the organization.

How one differentiates between a teaser and meat/taters, I leave to your discretion.  You have done a very good job of it.

Matt Bumgarner