locked Large shippers box car requirements ...1954

George Eichelberger

Here, from 1954, is a list of some of the biggest shippers on the Southern, what box cars they prefer to load and how many loads per week.

This is the kind of material "From the Archives" we can include in the "Southern News Bulletin" to be available to SRHA members the months TIES is not published.

Ike

Matt Bumgarner

Thanks for posting that... It is stunning to see that 200 carloads per week were loaded out of the Hickory/C&N-W territory.  All gone now...

Matt Bumgarner

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
Here, from 1954, is a list of some of the biggest shippers on the Southern, what box cars they prefer to load and how many loads per week.

This is the kind of material "From the Archives" we can include in the "Southern News Bulletin" to be available to SRHA members the months TIES is not published.

Ike

Jason Greene

Carloading off the Murphy branch is crazy! That’s about 35 cars a day just from the two paper mills listed. Plus the empty pulpwood flats and any additional traffic going to Asheville. When did the rock quarry around Andrews open? Where there any other major traffic producers?

Jason Greene

On Jan 17, 2022, at 11:34 AM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Here, from 1954, is a list of some of the biggest shippers on the Southern, what box cars they prefer to load and how many loads per week.

This is the kind of material "From the Archives" we can include in the "Southern News Bulletin" to be available to SRHA members the months TIES is not published.

Ike

Tim

Ike,

Thanks for posting this. It will be a big help with planning traffic on my layout (Southern S-Line).

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Bill Schafer

The Murphy Branch trains “locals” looked like they belonged on the main line - full road power, plenty of cars. When I first encountered these trains arriving Asheville Yard in the 1960s, I couldn’t believe they were from the Murphy Branch. Five F-units, trailed by a long string of cars. Below taken May 19, 1968.

—Bill

On Jan 31, 2022, at 09:02, Tim <tarumph@...> wrote:

Ike,

Thanks for posting this. It will be a big help with planning traffic on my layout (Southern S-Line).

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

O Fenton Wells

Great shot Bill.  I’ve got some neat photos (SRY) photos of Champion paper (50’s)from a guy who’s mom worked for Champion and who’s dad worked for the SR. I used them in my pulp wood clinic
Fenton

On Jan 31, 2022, at 9:33 AM, Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:

The Murphy Branch trains “locals” looked like they belonged on the main line - full road power, plenty of cars. When I first encountered these trains arriving Asheville Yard in the 1960s, I couldn’t believe they were from the Murphy Branch. Five F-units, trailed by a long string of cars. Below taken May 19, 1968.

—Bill

On Jan 31, 2022, at 09:02, Tim <tarumph@...> wrote:

Ike,

Thanks for posting this. It will be a big help with planning traffic on my layout (Southern S-Line).

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

George Eichelberger

Tim:

Glad you can make use of it!

I expect we will have a PDF of the 1-1-76 Southern car assignment book available as a download soon. It contains 302 pages (!) of all of the various  Southern freight cars assigned to particular shippers or locations - on and off line. In addition to Southern and CofG rolling stock, cars from ACL to UP assigned to locations on the Southern are included.

Cost to download will be reasonable. We want to determine how much interest there may be for this kind of Southern “prototype” data and if people will honor the “do not distribute” request.

The ability to order other Southern and CofG drawings, photos and documents is also “in the works”. Until then, attending one of the SRHA archives work sessions is the best way to see what is available and do research.

Ike

On Jan 31, 2022, at 9:02 AM, Tim <tarumph@...> wrote:

Ike,

Thanks for posting this. It will be a big help with planning traffic on my layout (Southern S-Line).

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

John M. Ware, P.E.

To Anyone:

      A long time ago I saw a photo of a modified MOW railcar designed to break ice cycles from tunnels or any other objects. The car was pushed ahead of the locomotive for obvious reasons. As I recall it was either a flat car or gondola with a hoop type steel structure shaped to the track clearance limits. My guess is that it was made  in a railroad shop. I don’t remember  the railroad, but  maybe it was from the “Rat Hole” Division of the CNO&TP. Do not remember if the loco was steam or diesel. If anyone has a photo or drawing, it would be helpful for a project that I am working on.

Thanks,

John Warel

[...]

I have seen actual car, and pictures of the Clinchfield version of what you were talking about. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a picture of one off the Southern. I’d be interested in seeing pictures if there was one.

Jason Greene

[...]

Sam Smith

As far as I have ever seen or heard of, the Southern applied ice breaking fixtures to the roofs of some GP30's and SD24's for a few years. Apparently, that didn't last long before these fixtures were removed.... mostly. I think the actual mounting points were left in place.

Sam

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:29 PM, Jason Greene
<jason.p.greene@...> wrote:
[...]

I've got a pdf copy of the October 1, 1975, Car Assignment Book that I downloaded (from somewhere ...). It's a wonderful resource.

Tim

Tim

This document is available here: http://southern.railfan.net/paper/sr_paper.html

It's listed as October 1979 but it's actually 1975.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC