locked [ModelingTheSouthern] Budd LtWt Pass Car Stencil Drawing - 1948

George Eichelberger

Evan:

I assume you could see the drawing so I won’t re-send….

In the late 1940s and 50s, all of the passenger car builders were very active in marketing their designs to the Southern. Sometimes we see unsolicited proposals, other times preliminary drawings that were changed before the cars were built. This particular drawing is part of a large group produced for the “Royal Palm” and “Crescent” orders in ’48. (Southern was the “lead” in ordering cars for all of the roads that purchased equipment for those trains; NYC, SR, PRR, L&N, A&WP and FEC so there are many drawings of their cars in the files.

As the Southern’s 1941 “Southerner” and “Tennesseean” cars used the new passenger lettering, I wonder why Budd did not follow that example in ’48? Obviously, no cars were lettered this way!

Ike

PS Here’s a Southern Railway trivia question. Where did the 1941 passenger car lettering come from?

On Oct 19, 2021, at 5:40 PM, Evan Whatley <Evan.w.what@...> wrote:

Ike- The image didn't attach correctly, but you got me on pins and needles wondering what changed? Did Budd propose Roman script on their car order?
--
-Evan Whatley

aramsay18

Hello Ike - the drawing/picture didn't come through in your original email.

Thanks

Regards from Berryville VA
Andy Ramsay

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 5:53 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
[...]

Arrgh! Some folks can see them, others cannot…here’s an attached jpeg.

Ike

On Oct 20, 2021, at 8:29 AM, aramsay18 <aramsay37@...> wrote:

[...]

Gino Damen

Hi,

It is the type of attachment who is the problem. On the average PC TIFF images can be viewed. On a lot of mobile device the included imageviewer can not parse TIFF files.

Even the fact that you currently attached a file with the extension .JPEG can cause problems because the extension .JPEG isn't always registered correctly.

The safest option is always post images saved in JPEG-format and with the extension JPG (not JPEG although the file self is exactly the same).

Greetings,

Gino Damen

20 okt. 2021 15:12:41 George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...>:

[...]

Gino:

Thanks for the info!

As a dedicated “Mac” user, I typically am not aware of issues like this…the Mac simply “handles” this stuff.

Ike

On Oct 20, 2021, at 9:24 AM, Gino Damen <g.damen@quarter105.nl> wrote:

Hi,

It is the type of attachment who is the problem. On the average PC TIFF images can be viewed. On a lot of mobile device the included imageviewer can not parse TIFF files.

Even the fact that you currently attached a file with the extension .JPEG can cause problems because the extension .JPEG isn't always registered correctly.

The safest option is always post images saved in JPEG-format and with the extension JPG (not JPEG although the file self is exactly the same).

Greetings,

Gino Damen

Curtis Brookshire

re, the lettering difference: The 1941 Tennessean and Southerner equipment came from Pullman. Maybe Budd submitted a different font due to competition with Pullman? I've read somewhere that there was some bad blood between the manufacturers that came from Pullman shutting Budd out of building streamlined sleepers when the ATSF ordered cars for the Super Chief in the 1930s.

Curtis Brookshire
Pine Level NC