locked Moving to Atlanta...in 1928!


George Eichelberger
 

What’s old is new again…Atlanta newspaper clipping from 3-6-1928 in the SRHA archives. (Box 420 File 9682 Washington DC Office Bldgs - 1927)

Ike




TIM ANDREWS
 

Where were the original Southern offices in DC that the government took over?  I assume they might have been in the area now known as Federal Triangle.  From Wikipedia:

Seven of the buildings in Federal Triangle were built by the U.S. federal government in the early and mid-1930s as part of a coordinated construction plan 

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 01:49:47 PM EST, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:


What’s old is new again…Atlanta newspaper clipping from 3-6-1928 in the SRHA archives. (Box 420 File 9682 Washington DC Office Bldgs - 1927)

Ike




George Eichelberger
 

Tim:

Here is a Google Drive link to SRHA Archives SR Presidents’ Files Box 420 File 9682 Washington, DC office.


Note that Chattanooga attempted to get the Sou Rwy headquarters.

Ike

PS If anyone would like to help get more files from the SRHA archives scanned……donations to www.srha.net or TVRM are always appreciated.





On Mar 10, 2021, at 2:07 PM, TIM ANDREWS <ANDREWSTIM@...> wrote:

Where were the original Southern offices in DC that the government took over?  I assume they might have been in the area now known as Federal Triangle.  From Wikipedia:

Seven of the buildings in Federal Triangle were built by the U.S. federal government in the early and mid-1930s as part of a coordinated construction plan 

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 01:49:47 PM EST, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:


What’s old is new again…Atlanta newspaper clipping from 3-6-1928 in the SRHA archives. (Box 420 File 9682 Washington DC Office Bldgs - 1927)

Ike

<1928-3-6 Atl Constitution  clipping.jpeg>


<1928-3-6 Atl Constitution  clipping.jpeg>


Bill Schafer
 

Location of original SOU office buildings in Washington, D.C. was at 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, a block west of the old Post Office at 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue. Southern added to these buildings over the years; I’ll have to check the dates, but the  original SOU HQ building - an ornate monstrosity - was partially destroyed by fire in 1916. 

When SOU built its new executive office building on K Street, it was not large enough to accommodate everyone at Pennsylvania Avenue, so they added five stories to the 125 Building and two stories to the 99 Building in Atlanta and moved a number of departments there in late 1928. See Southern News Bulletin for November 1928 for the story. 

Attached is an image of the office newest office building, which I think was built in 1916, at night in 1922. 

This is the Federal Triangle area today.

—Bill Schafer





On Mar 10, 2021, at 14:21, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Tim:

Here is a Google Drive link to SRHA Archives SR Presidents’ Files Box 420 File 9682 Washington, DC office.


Note that Chattanooga attempted to get the Sou Rwy headquarters.

Ike

PS If anyone would like to help get more files from the SRHA archives scanned……donations to www.srha.net or TVRM are always appreciated.





On Mar 10, 2021, at 2:07 PM, TIM ANDREWS <ANDREWSTIM@...> wrote:

Where were the original Southern offices in DC that the government took over?  I assume they might have been in the area now known as Federal Triangle.  From Wikipedia:

Seven of the buildings in Federal Triangle were built by the U.S. federal government in the early and mid-1930s as part of a coordinated construction plan 

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 01:49:47 PM EST, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:


What’s old is new again…Atlanta newspaper clipping from 3-6-1928 in the SRHA archives. (Box 420 File 9682 Washington DC Office Bldgs - 1927)

Ike

<1928-3-6 Atl Constitution  clipping.jpeg>


<1928-3-6 Atl Constitution  clipping.jpeg>



Bill Schafer
 

I meant to say that the image was of the newer of the old buildings on Penna Ave. Even though this area has long since been taken over by government office buildings, the Old Post Office still stands and is a handy landmark to figure out where things were 100 years ago. 

On Mar 10, 2021, at 15:18, Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:

Location of original SOU office buildings in Washington, D.C. was at 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, a block west of the old Post Office at 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue. Southern added to these buildings over the years; I’ll have to check the dates, but the  original SOU HQ building - an ornate monstrosity - was partially destroyed by fire in 1916. 

When SOU built its new executive office building on K Street, it was not large enough to accommodate everyone at Pennsylvania Avenue, so they added five stories to the 125 Building and two stories to the 99 Building in Atlanta and moved a number of departments there in late 1928. See Southern News Bulletin for November 1928 for the story. 

Attached is an image of the office newest office building, which I think was built in 1916, at night in 1922. 

This is the Federal Triangle area today.

—Bill Schafer

<Washington DC 1300 Penna Ave office bldg at night Jan 3 1922 Leet Bros photo from NS.jpeg>



On Mar 10, 2021, at 14:21, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Tim:

Here is a Google Drive link to SRHA Archives SR Presidents’ Files Box 420 File 9682 Washington, DC office.


Note that Chattanooga attempted to get the Sou Rwy headquarters.

Ike

PS If anyone would like to help get more files from the SRHA archives scanned……donations to www.srha.net or TVRM are always appreciated.





On Mar 10, 2021, at 2:07 PM, TIM ANDREWS <ANDREWSTIM@...> wrote:

Where were the original Southern offices in DC that the government took over?  I assume they might have been in the area now known as Federal Triangle.  From Wikipedia:

Seven of the buildings in Federal Triangle were built by the U.S. federal government in the early and mid-1930s as part of a coordinated construction plan 

On Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 01:49:47 PM EST, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:


What’s old is new again…Atlanta newspaper clipping from 3-6-1928 in the SRHA archives. (Box 420 File 9682 Washington DC Office Bldgs - 1927)

Ike

<1928-3-6 Atl Constitution  clipping.jpeg>


<1928-3-6 Atl Constitution  clipping.jpeg>