Topics

moderated Need number series help

Jim King

What is the number series for SOU GS50 wood chip hoppers built 9 and 10-85?  I have “bookend” pix of 139559 and 139704 but don’t know the beginning and ending numbers.  Attached is a shot of a car in this group that’s just 3 months old.  Thanks.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

--
Jim King
http://smokymountainmodelworks.com

George Eichelberger

Jim's question begs another....

As the Southern never had GS50, or any other car classes and the NS merger occurred in 1982, when should we consider the Southern Railway System "gone"? I realize "NS" was set up to be a holding company with the SR and NS as mol separate operations but that did not last for very long. With that logic, can we say the Southern still existed in late 1985?

Ike

darrell2010

Jim,

I show SOU 139564 as being from 139495-139724 (230 cars) built by GSC Order 1234.

Darrell Sawyer

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 10:20:03 AM MST, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

What is the number series for SOU GS50 wood chip hoppers built 9 and 10-85?  I have “bookend” pix of 139559 and 139704 but don’t know the beginning and ending numbers.  Attached is a shot of a car in this group that’s just 3 months old.  Thanks.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

--
Jim King
http://smokymountainmodelworks.com

D. Scott Chatfield

The Southern Railway System leased the Norfolk & Western Railway at the end of 1990, and then the Southern's formal name was changed to Norfolk Southern Railway.  This is the end date of the Southern Railway and the beginning of the use of NS reporting marks on all equipment, and new combined number series for freight cars.

Scott Chatfield

George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
Jim's question begs another....

As the Southern never had GS50, or any other car classes and the NS merger occurred in 1982, when should we consider the Southern Railway System "gone"? I realize "NS" was set up to be a holding company with the SR and NS as mol separate operations but that did not last for very long. With that logic, can we say the Southern still existed in late 1985?

Ike

Sam Smith

Scott,
Say whatever you like, but, for me, the world as we knew it, ended when the first Southern Railway piece of equipment got a N.S. sticker slapped across it......😢😢🤬🤬😠😠

Samuel Smith
LONG LIVE THE SOUTHERN

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 5:23 PM, D. Scott Chatfield
<blindog@...> wrote:
[...]

If a piece of equipment wears SOUTHERN on the side, then I consider it to be a “Southern” car regardless of corporate structure.  From memory, I didn’t see my first NS repainted diesel until 1984-85.  Other than consolidation of service points, yards, etc. and changes in freight train schedules, I saw no appreciable indication of the NS merger for a few years, which is why most of “shooters” were making a BIG effort to capture as much as we could.  Retirement of older power en masse (SD35s and SD45s come to mind) also reduced what we could see trackside.  I’m glad I shot what I did, including cars and cabooses.  The last Southern-painted engine I shot was on Asheville’s South Local in 1992.

Cars that didn’t interchange often, like chip hoppers, bypassed the paint shop most of their lives after initial construction, excepting “patch over” stenciling reflecting car shop visits and AAR changes.  Yes, some were repainted but not at the same frequency as interchanging cars (boxcars, in particular).  Until last year when NS sold a BUNCH of chip hoppers to WATCO and D J Joseph, Southern-stenciled cars last painted in the early/mid 80s were still common, just VERY ratty looking usually.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

--
Jim King
http://smokymountainmodelworks.com

Jim King

Thanks, Darryl.  That’s what I needed to finish kit instructions.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

--
Jim King
http://smokymountainmodelworks.com

sgwarner88@...

Ike,  In conversation with someone in the Law Dept probably over a decade ago, I was told that Southern Railway Company was renamed as Norfolk Southern Corp.,  and that N&W was merged into SR/NSC.  As so, one could say that SR still survives, only under a different name.   You could confirm with Jim Howe, of course.
Stephen

sgwarner88@...

Scott.  My understanding from past conversations with NS Law, is that N&W was merged into NSC, and I thus made all of my Operating Agreements under the name of Norfolk Southern Railway Company (as a subsidiary of NSC).  Similar to CNO&TP, AGS, etc.  For example, with the sale of the Tenn. RR. to National Coal, I made that agreement with NCRR among CNO&TP, TRR (NS owned), and NCRR.  NSC as holding company was not a part of any operating agreements that I made.  Of course, NSR registered NS as a reporting mark, although I ASSUME that equipment is owned or leased by NSR, rather than NSC.  While since '64, I always believed that there was a merger among N&W, Wabash, and NKP,  I later found out that N&W LEASED the Wabash and merged with the NKP.  That was evidently, as I understood it, a true lease.
Stephen

Michael Young

So that proves Shakespeare was wrong.  A rose by any other name might NOT smell as sweet.
Mike Young