locked Need stenciling help with 584907

Jim King

We’re restoring 584907 at the Craggy Mountain Line back to 12-79 delivery scheme and need help with stenciling.  Below is a Fallen Flags image from a car in that series.  If SRHA or individual has pix of cars in this series or, even better, a stenciling diagram, please contact me off-list.  So far, we’ve applied the large block lettering on both sides of the door.  Now I need to design the capacity, etc., stacked consolidation plate, car dimensions, end lettering and bank loan info in upper left of the side, along with misc. small stuff.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

George Eichelberger

Jim:

I’ll locate and get the FGE stencil drawing for these cars to you.

Ike

PS For the HO modelers among us, I spoke to Moloco about doing them. He told me (Nick would know, his research is excellent) that was unlikely. Fruit Growers was basically a car assembly company when the Southern RBLs were produced. That means they purchased parts and assemblies from other manufacturers and put car together like a kit.

Because the Southern orders used an atypical combination of parts, they did not correspond to other prototypes. I would not make sense for any “prototype” model manufacturer to produce a mol single railroad’s car.

On May 20, 2021, at 5:50 PM, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

We’re restoring 584907 at the Craggy Mountain Line back to 12-79 delivery scheme and need help with stenciling.  Below is a Fallen Flags image from a car in that series.  If SRHA or individual has pix of cars in this series or, even better, a stenciling diagram, please contact me off-list.  So far, we’ve applied the large block lettering on both sides of the door.  Now I need to design the capacity, etc., stacked consolidation plate, car dimensions, end lettering and bank loan info in upper left of the side, along with misc. small stuff.

<image001.jpg>

Jim King

James

I have also talked to Nick Molo about doing the FGE cars as part of his RBL line.  He said the same thing that they appear
to be a one road car.  I have found that WP and maybe other roads that did not join the UP in the PFE/WFE venture did have
FGE cars but I can not locate picture for the number series listed for FGE.  Maybe if someone can find evidence of other cars like
the Southern cars we might can get them made.

Also I did a clinic on building these cars from existing models and resin cast parts a couple of years ago.  It can be found on my
RPM clinic page on Groups.io

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

Jim King

I mentioned doing a fund raising project in HO using this car but had no idea if the car was ever produced or, if it was, if still available.  Custom-run RTR car in this scheme would be an outstanding addition for modelers and likely have appeal to non-modelers visiting the Craggy.  Too bad the car isn’t available.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

D. Scott Chatfield

If memory serves the Green Bay & Western was the only other buyer of these 52'6" FGE cars.  As Nick Molo mentioned, FGE was more a car assembler than a car builder, and these cars look like they have sides made by Paccar and ends from ACF.

James, did your model come out to 52'6"?  I've seen another kitbash of this car and it was only 50' long.  I have the parts to build one, the 722, and I'll shorten the sides from an Eel River Paccar 60' beer car.

Scott Chatfield

George Eichelberger

This discussion reminds the SRHA Directors that we need to revisit and decide if there is enough interest in the “plan packs” we have offered in the past to devote resources to producing and making more available. The only one now on the SRHA “GRAB” section of the website (www.srha.net) is are the drawings for single door “waffle" box cars ($12.00+$2.00 postage). Drawings for each car are printed on tabloid (11x17”) paper and folded once so they can be mailed in a standard 8.5x11” envelope.

Is there any interest in SRHA offering more “plan packs”? Which cars?

Ike