Topics

locked New member questions on the St. Louis line

Al Collins

Hello everyone,

I in the planning stages of of a HO-scale layout based on the Louisville to St. Louis line.

I've tried searching on the web for informating on the line but have had no luck.

Primarily I'm looking for what were the trains that ran over it with orgins and destinations. I've seen mention of 111 and 112 in what I have managed to find.

Also where there any locals that ran on the line and what online customers where there? I've also seen mention of a train 73.

Also, this is a broad question, but basically anything of revelent would be appricated.

Thanks you in advance,

Alex

Stuart Thayer

Alex,

There were also trains 123 and 124 which were about the hottest trains on that line.  Used to watch 124 come off the K&IT bridge in New Albany in the afternoons heading west.  It usually had big power, either SD40-2’s or SD45’s.  It was also always a radio train as was 123.

The other trains that I saw pretty regularly was a radio unit coal train that came off the AW&W at Oakland City IN.  That train used the Southern Ortner rapid discharge cars.  Not sure where it ran to loaded but it came through Louisville loaded EB and empty WB.  The WB train would have all of the power including the Radio Car up front.  They would cut the radio units in mid-train at Oakland City after it was loaded.

Stuart Thayer

On Jul 15, 2020, at 9:15 AM, Al Collins <erb_2939@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I in the planning stages of of a HO-scale layout based on the Louisville to St. Louis line.

I've tried searching on the web for informating on the line but have had no luck.

Primarily I'm looking for what were the trains that ran over it with orgins and destinations. I've seen mention of 111 and 112 in what I have managed to find.

Also where there any locals that ran on the line and what online customers where there? I've also seen mention of a train 73.

Also, this is a broad question, but basically anything of revelent would be appricated.

Thanks you in advance,

Alex

Tim

There is a "Freight Train Schedules and Blocking Instructions" for 1979 available here: http://southern.railfan.net/paper/sr_paper.html

At a first glance through the index, here are the trains I see that mention East St. Louis or Louisville or parts thereabouts.
111 East St. Louis to Knoxville
112 Knoxville to East St. Louis
120 Louisville-Centrailia-Galesburg (BN)
123 East St. Louis to Macon
124 Chattanooga to East St. Louis
127 East St. Louis to Knoxville
128 Knoxville to East St. Louis
129 Louisville to Cincinnati
130 Cincinnati to Louisville
160 Macon to Louisville
161 Louisville to Macon
231 Chicago Mt. Vernon Danville (MP [C&EI])
232 Danville Mt. Vernon Chicago (MP [C&EI])
360 Chattanooga to Louisville
361 Louisville to Chattanooga

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Stuart Thayer

To add to this, I don’t remember which train it was, but we used to see run through BN power come into Louisville from St Louis.

Stuart Thayer

On Jul 15, 2020, at 10:24 AM, Tim <tarumph@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that info and link Tim, greatly appricated!

Thanks,

Alex

At a first glance through the index, here are the trains I see that mention East St. Louis or Louisville or parts thereabouts.
111 East St. Louis to Knoxville
112 Knoxville to East St. Louis
120 Louisville-Centrailia-Galesburg (BN)
123 East St. Louis to Macon
124 Chattanooga to East St. Louis
127 East St. Louis to Knoxville
128 Knoxville to East St. Louis
129 Louisville to Cincinnati
130 Cincinnati to Louisville
160 Macon to Louisville
161 Louisville to Macon
231 Chicago Mt. Vernon Danville (MP [C&EI])
232 Danville Mt. Vernon Chicago (MP [C&EI])
360 Chattanooga to Louisville
361 Louisville to Chattanooga

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Al Collins

Thanks Stuart! Thats really interesting about the robot power and its arrangement. I will try and find some info about the coal train. It

[...]

Now that would be interesting to see. I will seach on Flickr and see what I can turn up. Thanks again Stuart!

Thanks,

Alex

[...]

Charles Powell

Alex,
I saw a posting on the "Trainorders" website with link to an author's website advertising a book "Railroads of Indiana" for $59.00. There was a short video clip showing some of the photos in the book and there was one of some SR SD40-2s. I have no idea if the book has more SR photos than the one on the video. I suspect that considering SR's limited millage in Indiana there is probably not as much as Pennsy, NYC, Monon, etc. Maybe someone in this group has the book and can let us know. The website link is below.
Regards,
Charlie
 https://michaelckelly.net/

C J Wyatt

Alex, what time period?

Jack Wyatt

On Saturday, July 18, 2020, 08:01:46 AM EDT, Al Collins <erb_2939@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I in the planning stages of of a HO-scale layout based on the Louisville to St. Louis line.

I've tried searching on the web for informating on the line but have had no luck.

Primarily I'm looking for what were the trains that ran over it with orgins and destinations. I've seen mention of 111 and 112 in what I have managed to find.

Also where there any locals that ran on the line and what online customers where there? I've also seen mention of a train 73.

Also, this is a broad question, but basically anything of revelent would be appricated.

Thanks you in advance,

Alex

Al Collins

Hello Jack,

Guess I did leave that important bit out.

1977-1982 would be my focus, as it allows for GP50s and some of the earlier GEs at the same time.

Thanks,

Alex

I in the planning stages of of a HO-scale layout based on the Louisville to St. Louis line.

I've tried searching on the web for informating on the line but have had no luck.

Primarily I'm looking for what were the trains that ran over it with orgins and destinations. I've seen mention of 111 and 112 in what I have managed to find.

Also where there any locals that ran on the line and what online customers where there? I've also seen mention of a train 73.

Also, this is a broad question, but basically anything of revelent would be appricated.

Thanks you in advance,

Alex

Michael Shirey

To the fellow that is modeling this line. Here is a link that may help you with some research on this line. http://www.aeromoe.com/NS.html

Thanks, Michael Shirey

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 9:29 AM Al Collins <erb_2939@...> wrote:
[...]

You might want to consider the new book from Morning Sun Books, Southern Railway in Color. It includes a good section on the Louisville to St. Louis line.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

sgwarner88@...

Tim’s schedules are correct for the time.  However, may I point out the unusual numbering.  Standard Code (and every other RR that I worked on) almost always has even numbers EB/NB, and odd numbers WB/SB.  The old Louisville St. Louis Div runs E/W, but the numbering is the opposite of normal practice.  My first day on SR was on a rail train laying CWR east of Louisville in 1969.  We cleared up for 111, and I was off the r of w in the clear watching for a WB train from the East.  111 came up behind me eastbound from the west.  Surprise!

The numbers were that way a since the trains came off of or onto the CNO&TP at Danville, and the TT direction there was NB and SB, so 111 Coming from Louisville would  continue  SB as an odd number and vice versa.  Interesting trivia.