locked NKP Car Company sides for The Tennessean

Patrick Howle

Hi,

Many years ago, I obtained five NKP kits for The Tennessean at a local show.

Very little supplemental information was provided.

Did not see any info on the NKP site.

Anyone know which cars were offered?

TIA,

Patrick

George Eichelberger

Patrick:

I’m reasonably sure  virtually EVERY piece of information on the Southerner and Tennessean, including specs. and drawings is in the SRHA archives at TVRM.

Ike

PS I stopped by Classic Trains & Ferraris in Paducah, KY on the way to the Collinsville RPM. Bill Harris showed me a complete set of the Tennessean (Southerner?) NKP kits. If anyone is interested, contact Bill at (270) 994-2555.

On Aug 30, 2022, at 6:44 PM, Patrick Howle via groups.io <iggi.geo@...> wrote:

Hi,

Many years ago, I obtained five NKP kits for The Tennessean at a local show.

Very little supplemental information was provided.

Did not see any info on the NKP site.

Anyone know which cars were offered?

TIA,

Patrick

Patrick Howle

Hi Ike,

Is this info open to the public?

Regards,

Patrick

On Tuesday, August 30, 2022, 09:26:08 PM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes! I was “shocked” to find they even existed. Someone will make good use of them…and the data on the cars in the SRHA archives….

I already have the PSC sets and several of the NKP kits or I would have bought them on the spot. I think (!) the price was about $1,200.

Ike

On Aug 30, 2022, at 10:33 PM, Patrick Howle via groups.io <iggi.geo@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin Kell

Patrick:
The July-August 1991 issue of the Ties was devoted to the SOUTHERNERand the TENNESSEAN, and provides some good information as a starting point for modeling.
Regards,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 9:33 PM, Patrick Howle via groups.io
<iggi.geo@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Kevin,

Was simply looking for the NKP Car Company information on those kits.

Were they only offered to your organization or were they available to anyone?

What cars were available, what was included in the kits and what did they cost?

At this point in time, I don't need any factual construction/prototypical info, unless it is available online to the public (ie, no membership required).  Can't see traveling to TVRM, whatever that is.

Thanks,

Patrick

<iggi.geo@...> wrote:
[...]

The website that I have record of is NKPCARCO.com. It is still live, but has not been updated in a while.

Kevin

<iggi.geo@...> wrote:
[...]

A&Y Dave in MD

I found this info on the website.  Perhaps all Patrick needs to know is which are for The Tennessean?

Southern Railway Passenger Cars

Car DescriptionPlan NumberPictures
Baggage/Mail 85'

7597

n/a
Baggage/Dormitory 85'ACFSee It!
DinerBuddSee It!
52 Seat CoachBuddn/a
Coach- LoungeBuddSee It!
Coach - 52 Seat #841-846P/Sn/a
5 BDM/Lounge Obs. "Royal" - Includes Obs. roof end piece - also L & NP/Sn/a
RPO/Baggage - 3 DoorACFn/a
Modernized Heavyweight Coach - Double Vestibule - Full Kit---n/a
Heavyweight 70' Baggage Car - "Turtle-Back Roof" - Full Kit---n/a
PRR/N&W/Pullman/SOU "County," "General" and "Mount" Series 10 Section/Lounge - Double Vestibule, Pullman Mechanical A/C (Kit contains NKP brass sides with Branchline Trains Body & Detail Parts)3521C & 3521GPrototype Photo
Pullman "College" Series 10 SEC / 2 DB / 1 CMPT (ACL, D&RGW, SRR & others)4042n/a
Pullman 10 SEC / 1 DWG RM / 2 DB (LV, L&N, SRR, DL&W, ERIE-(Before 1951)4074n/a
Pullman 14/4 P/S 4153Cn/a
Pullman 10/6 Version 1 SOU RyP/S 4140n/a
Pullman 10/6 Version 2: PRR, L&N, West Point Rt.P/S 4140n/a
Pullman 2 Dr/Mr/Buffet LoungeP/S 4160See It!

On Aug 30, 2022, at 6:44 PM, Patrick Howle via groups.io <iggi.geo@...> wrote:

Hi,

Many years ago, I obtained five NKP kits for The Tennessean at a local show.

Very little supplemental information was provided.

Did not see any info on the NKP site.

Anyone know which cars were offered?

TIA,

Patrick

C J Wyatt

The cars offered for The Tennessean / The Southerner have long been dropped from the NKP website. If I recall the cars were offered around 25 years ago and I think included everything in the train. I seem to remember the original owner of NKP telling me that he screwed up and missed the top rib. Maybe someone can confirm. If Patrick is interested in putting together a whole train, I would suggest selling the NKP sides and going the Union Station Products route (I hate to think what a PSC train would sell for if you could find one).

Jack Wyatt

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC

George Eichelberger

Jack:

Per my earlier post, a complete train would cost about $1,200. Bill Harris at Classic Trains & Ferraris in Paducah, (270) 994-2555, has one or two sets (?) available.

Ike

PS None of the cars on the list below are for either train, the Tennessean and Southerner cars for the 1941 trains were built by P-S . (The Tennessean ran shadow-lined painted HWT Pullmans behind the flat-end obs, the Southerner was coach only.) The only consist changes I have seen during the war was one car from the Memphis train was moved to the New Orleans train for wartime traffic after it was determined a single E-6 could keep the Southerner’s schedule with an eight car train.

On Sep 1, 2022, at 11:59 AM, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ike. Not a bad price for brass.

Jack

On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 12:33:48 PM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the time line.  Were there also specific Crescent cars?

Thanks,

Patrick

On Thursday, September 1, 2022, 11:59:35 AM EDT, C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Doug Alexander

I’m in the process of building the Southerner using Union Station products.  So far, I’ve only done dining car Virginia.

--
Doug Alexander
Atlanta

O Fenton Wells

Looks good Doug, can't wait to see the total train
Fenton

On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 10:47 AM Doug Alexander <doug_alexander@...> wrote:
I’m in the process of building the Southerner using Union Station products.  So far, I’ve only done dining car Virginia.

--
Doug Alexander
Atlanta

--