Topics

locked OC 5 at the unloading site

George Eichelberger

Southern Railway official car No 5 (disguised as NS No 8) arrived at Chattanooga this afternoon. It will be set on trucks tomorrow and moved to the TVRM Soule Shops to be restored as Southern Railway OC No 5. It was converted by the Southern from Pullman “Point Richmond” in 1956.

If anyone wants to help with putting it into service, please contact me or Tim Andrews at TVRM.

Ike

Marv Clemons

Ike, you say the car will be restored as SR OC #5.  Would that be in original Pullman green paint as well?

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

Carl Ardrey

Of course.

On January 15, 2020 at 8:41 AM Marv Clemons <mclemonsjr@...> wrote:

Ike, you say the car will be restored as SR OC #5.  Would that be in original Pullman green paint as well?

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

George Eichelberger

Marvin:

Yes! That is the plan…

I will put the entire Point Richmond, OC-X…OC-5, NS8 file on line at this week ends archives work session (we’ll also take time to go see NS8). That file contains everything needed to restore Southern Railway No. 5 to its pre merger appearance. It would be great to see others interested in preserving the history of the Sou Rwy chip in with cash, technical help or elbow grease.

Ike

On Jan 15, 2020, at 9:41 AM, Marv Clemons <mclemonsjr@...> wrote:

Ike, you say the car will be restored as SR OC #5.  Would that be in original Pullman green paint as well?

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

David Payne

Ike,
Do you know TVRM's plan for the car?  Marv knows what I'm thinking ...
David Payne

In a message dated 1/15/2020 10:34:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, geichelberger@... writes:

Marvin:

Yes! That is the plan…

I will put the entire Point Richmond, OC-X…OC-5, NS8 file on line at this week ends archives work session (we’ll also take time to go see NS8). That file contains everything needed to restore Southern Railway No. 5 to its pre merger appearance. It would be great to see others interested in preserving the history of the Sou Rwy chip in with cash, technical help or elbow grease.

Ike

On Jan 15, 2020, at 9:41 AM, Marv Clemons <mclemonsjr@...> wrote:

Ike, you say the car will be restored as SR OC #5.  Would that be in original Pullman green paint as well?

Thanks,
Marv Clemons

George Eichelberger

David:

I do not expect there is a specific TVRM “plan” for Sou 5 at this moment, its restoration will come first.

As it will be operational, as opposed to a “museum piece”, the car will certainly be used on TVRM trains to some degree. (Producing revenue for TVRM is important for any piece of rolling stock.)

The restoration work already done on the car was for it to be used as a “PV” on Amtrak. While attitudes at Amtrak, NS and CSX may not be supportive of any kind of private car or excursion moves at this time, TVRM cars have HEP, chemical toilets, etc. so all of those upgrades will be useful.

TVRM has two direct connections to NS and an “almost" connection to CSX…who can imagine what might be possible in the future?

Ike

PS Don’t forget TVRM’s Southern Budd diner 3307 recently purchased from Amtrak…another “main line” ready car.

On Jan 15, 2020, at 10:41 AM, David Payne via Groups.Io <davidcofga@...> wrote:

[...]

Rodney Shu

Wonder if the storms last night damaged anything at TVRM?
Rodney Shu

Southern Railway official car No 5 (disguised as NS No 8) arrived at Chattanooga this afternoon. It will be set on trucks tomorrow and moved to the TVRM Soule Shops to be restored as Southern Railway OC No 5. It was converted by the Southern from Pullman “Point Richmond” in 1956.

If anyone wants to help with putting it into service, please contact me or Tim Andrews at TVRM.

Ike

Bill Schafer

Latest report I heard (10:00 am) was that the Museum seems to have escaped any damage to speak of. The unknown was how much damage was sustained on the Hiwassee. I think it will get inspected later today, and it would be a miracle if no trees blew down across the track.

—Bill