From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> on behalf of George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 08:25
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Peachtree Station Drawings

There is an extensive set of microfilm, now scanned, drawings of Brookwood (Peachtree) Station in Atlanta in the SRHA archives. All are partial views of the architect’s plans in the very detailed style of the period when buildings incorporated significant stone work. (One example is attached.)

There is also a good size file on the planning, construction and opening of the station, conceived to be an Atlanta station stop that would not require trains to go to and from Atlanta Term Station from Howells.

Even without a potential TIES article, reconstructed, even re-drawn, drawings would be a valuable addition to the archives. If anyone is interested in helping, or has an idea that may be useful, please contact SRHA at archives@....

Thanks!

Mike:

Unfortunately, I had a complete set that were loaned to someone and never returned. For years, I have asked if anyone knows of them and if they could be returned. The “loan” was long before it was possible to make high quality scans so we do not have a digital version. My (rather large) Asheville HO layout has a spot reserved for the depot but without something resembling accurate plans, it will not be built. A custom builder, using early 3D printing technology made a beautiful model and offered to make another for me. I responded to his offer but never heard anything from it.

The drawings were given to me by a friend in Sarasota, FL in the early 70s. He had obtained them from the City of Asheville but I have never been able to locate his source. Maybe someone living in the area could make some inquiries?

Ike

PS The archives include quite a few photos of Asheville Yard and a number of track layouts and VAL maps over the years. Asheville, like many other locations on the Southern, “needs” a comprehensive article in TIES. I’ve attached a partial drawing re-used to show new steam lines from the Asheville power house.

On May 19, 2020, at 8:43 AM, Michael Roderick <mdrghost@...> wrote:

Ike:

Have you seen any drawings of the Asheville Station? If so I would love to have a copy of it for my project.

Mike

There is an extensive set of microfilm, now scanned, drawings of Brookwood (Peachtree) Station in Atlanta in the SRHA archives. All are partial views of the architect’s plans in the very detailed style of the period when buildings incorporated significant stone work. (One example is attached.)

There is also a good size file on the planning, construction and opening of the station, conceived to be an Atlanta station stop that would not require trains to go to and from Atlanta Term Station from Howells.

Even without a potential TIES article, reconstructed, even re-drawn, drawings would be a valuable addition to the archives. If anyone is interested in helping, or has an idea that may be useful, please contact SRHA at archives@....

Thanks!

Ike

<Atlanta Peachtree Sta 2.jpeg>

George Eichelberger

Mike:

I promise Asheville was more than a “Service Area”. I used several of these charts in a presentation to the Lexington Group a few years ago. Even an audience that knowledgable about RR history was surprised to hear the Southern carried more tonnage through Asheville than Atlanta.

Ike

On May 19, 2020, at 9:33 AM, Michael Roderick <mdrghost@...> wrote:

Ike:

Do you have any other drawings of Asheville yard and anything else? I will be building a model of the Branch on my layout, but I want to include operations of Asheville area going to Spencer Yard which would be a off layout staging. So far with what you and Gordon have given me and I have been able to find on old Topo maps. Asheville was just more than a service area for the Southern back in the early years.

Mike

Stephen Warner

I always enjoyed boarding 20 and stepping down from 19 at this "suburban" station.  I expect that the SRHA files may not have one interesting aspect of it, though, since NS was diligent to trashing records a few years after I retired.  Working under the NRPC authority in the early 2000's for NS, we were experiencing spalling from under Peachtree Road, threatening Amtrak engine crews boarding the engines under it.  I met with GA. DOT as well.  After researching the history, we found that the small parking area in front of it was actually on top of the old Peachtree Road, and the same parking area overpass was actually GA DOT Peachtree Road RofW.   GA DOT had to fix it, by first installing a net to catch falling concrete pieces (and after avoiding their responsibility by closing the space for a while).  So, who would have thunk it?

Kyle Shannon

Ike,

I have a drawing of the Butterfly shed for the Asheville platform that I can bring to scan in the next work session, whenever that is.