From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 9:58 AM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Pickens Railroad "Explorer"

The SRHA Southern Presidents' files include proposals for new interurban lines, branch lines and passenger trains.

There are multiple items through 1966 that discuss operating the ex NYC "Explorer" train on the Southern. Internal memos in the file make it clear that the Southern had no interest whatsoever in the concept. (attached)

Ike

PS The next SRHA work session at the TVRM archives building is next weekend.

Carl Ardrey

Here it is in 1965 on the SAL.  Evidently, the motive power wasn't too reliable.

On February 9, 2020 at 10:25 AM Ed Mims <wemims@...> wrote:

Here is a photo that I took in the winter of 1965 as the X-plorer departed Augusta, GA. I don’t remember why is was there but know that it’s destination was Atlanta. You can see the small crowd that turned out to watch it pass by so it must have had some publicity. I don’t know why I was not at my duty station (Fort Gordon) unless this was on a Sunday. Fifty five years later I realize that I should have kept a note book but at my age then, I could remember these things.

Ed Mims

The SRHA Southern Presidents' files include proposals for new interurban lines, branch lines and passenger trains.

There are multiple items through 1966 that discuss operating the ex NYC "Explorer" train on the Southern. Internal memos in the file make it clear that the Southern had no interest whatsoever in the concept. (attached)

Ike

PS The next SRHA work session at the TVRM archives building is next weekend.

Robert Hanson

While I never rode the train, I was told by those who did that the X-Plorer did not cover itself with glory on any of the few trips on which it was used.

Most unreliable.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA

The SRHA Southern Presidents' files include proposals for new interurban lines, branch lines and passenger trains.

There are multiple items through 1966 that discuss operating the ex NYC "Explorer" train on the Southern. Internal memos in the file make it clear that the Southern had no interest whatsoever in the concept. (attached)

Ike

PS The next SRHA work session at the TVRM archives building is next weekend.

Jason Greene

Ed,
Did it run Georgia Road to Atlanta?

Jason Greene

[...]

<The X'plorer on the Georgia Railroad near Mile Post 5 1965 (Ed Mims).tif>

Doug Alexander

The assessment seems reasonable and well thought out, though I am reminded of one done by the US Highway Department in the late-1930's when the Pennsylvania Turnpike folks, unable to raise enough funds in the private sector, appealed to FDR for federal dollars to make the project happen.  He asked the Highway Dept for its opinion, and they said it would not be worth the cost.  They said that there would never be enough cars built to pay for the road.  FDR wanted to secure Pennsylvania's votes, so he approved it anyway.  The Reconstruction Finance Corporation loaned $32 million and the WPA granted $26 million and the pike was built.  And eventually, there were enough cars built to make it a success.

Doug Alexander
Atlanta