From: George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
To: main@southernrailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Sep 21, 2021 2:50 pm
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Preserved Southern Switchers?

The stuff about Southern switch engines has me thinking…

Are there any Southern ALCo or EMD switch engines preserved at one of the museums?

TVRM just did a lot of work* obtaining, and moving, a “Baby Trainmaster” from TVA. Unusual for an “industrial” unit, it was purchased new by TVA and worked at one locationt its entire life.

(Neither it or the ALCo S- TVA donated to TVRM were Southern but anyone interested in preserving rolling stock from the Southeast might consider a donation to help defer the $100,000 (mol) cost to truck them to Chattanooga. Consider there will not be many more pieces of rolling stock to obtain and preserve in the future.)

Ike

Stephen Warner

Bob,

Currently we at SRM are getting close to having 8202 operational again.  We had the Traction Motors and wheels overhauled,  are restoring the cab, and painting the trucks.  Still a ways to go, but looking good. Come by us some day.

Jason Greene

8202 at SRM is certainly one.

Three Rivers Rambler/Clausen have two SW-1s at Knoxville.

There is a SW-1 at Oakridge I believe.

To my knowledge no ALCO or Baldwins were saved. No SW-1500 have been saved yet, not sure if any could be but some are in second hands. MP-15s are in same boat as the 1500s.

Jason Greene

On Sep 21, 2021, at 6:07 PM, Stephen Warner <sgwarner88@...> wrote:

Bob,

Currently we at SRM are getting close to having 8202 operational again.  We had the Traction Motors and wheels overhauled,  are restoring the cab, and painting the trucks.  Still a ways to go, but looking good. Come by us some day.

Jason Greene

I forgot to add the SW-1 at Wadley in the woods. Privately owned. It is ex-G&F and Southern.

Jason Greene

On Sep 21, 2021, at 6:28 PM, Jason Greene via groups.io <jason.p.greene@...> wrote:

8202 at SRM is certainly one.

Three Rivers Rambler/Clausen have two SW-1s at Knoxville.

There is a SW-1 at Oakridge I believe.

To my knowledge no ALCO or Baldwins were saved. No SW-1500 have been saved yet, not sure if any could be but some are in second hands. MP-15s are in same boat as the 1500s.

Jason Greene

On Sep 21, 2021, at 6:07 PM, Stephen Warner <sgwarner88@...> wrote:

Bob,

Currently we at SRM are getting close to having 8202 operational again.  We had the Traction Motors and wheels overhauled,  are restoring the cab, and painting the trucks.  Still a ways to go, but looking good. Come by us some day.

Matt Bumgarner

Monticello Rwy Museum in Monticello has an NS slug that was made from a Southern RS-3.

Matt Bumgarner