locked Questions

Clark Barrow

Hello,

I'm new to the group and interested to learn more about Southern Railway. I have a couple questions (this in regards to a few model train cars I just purchased):

Southern Railway Diner Car 3168: how long is this car?

Also, how long were typical Southern heavyweight passenger cars?

For trains like the Carolina Special, would Southern use these heavyweight cars with a 60' baggage car? I've searched for a consist of the Carolina Special and can't find a complete list online.

Thanks for your help, appreciate the knowledge.

Clark Barrow

Michael Cathey

Welcome Clark,
According to a passenger car diagram book, Sou Rwy 3168 is 82'-4" over the buffers/diaphrams, 78'-1" inside length, 58'-9" truck centers.
There are pass car experts on here, just happened to have my book nearby.
Mike Cathey

George Eichelberger

Clark:

You didn't mention a year for the "Carolina Special" consist, here is a document from 11-15-67 showing the standard consist of Train 27 not long before it was discontinued. The Pullman came off before the train was killed. "Diesels" would have been either upgraded passenger F-3s (called F3/7s by the Southern) or FP-7s. (Probably FPs by Nov. of '67?) Any baggage cars southbound to Oakdale probably would have continued in the Atlanta section.

Ike

Evan Whatley

Hey Clark. The Carolina Special has a long and storied history. What era/years are you interested in getting consist information for?
--
-Evan Whatley

Clark Barrow

Thanks Evan and everyone else for your responses. I’m interested in whatever years the Southern Railway Diner Car 3168 (or a similar heavyweight car) was a part of the consist. When was this diner car used and what was the consist for this train? Thanks again.

On May 18, 2021, at 10:07 AM, Evan Whatley <Evan.w.what@...> wrote:

Hey Clark. The Carolina Special has a long and storied history. What era/years are you interested in getting consist information for?
--
-Evan Whatley

Michael Young

Here's a link to the 1954 public timetable page that shows the consist at that time.  I was born in 1954, and can vaguely remember seeing the diner laying over on the servicing track at Columbia, but by the time I made my first trip on the Carolina Special, around 1963, the Columbia-Charleston segment had been discontinued, and the diner was cut back to either Asheville or Knoxville.  For that first trip only, the Louisville sleeper was still running, but not for long after that.  From then on until final discontinuance in 1968, it was a 2-car consist, a baggage car and a modernized heavyweight coach.  My admittedly vague memory of the diner is that it was a modernized heavyweight one, probably in the 3100 series.
Mike Young

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeljy/6133995989/in/album-72157619877273926/