Topics

locked Replacement boxcar doors

D. Scott Chatfield

While you can still find Southern-painted waffle boxcars on the rails (saw one yesterday), almost every last one has lost its original doors.  Does anyone recall when that started?  Building cars to use in the 1988-1994 timeframe and I'm not sure if any should have replacement doors yet.

Normally I'd look at my photos from back then to answer the question, but fact is Southern waffles and regular exterior-post boxcars were _so_ common that I didn't pay them much attention.  When film was relatively expensive, and you only had 24 or 36 shots on a roll, you couldn't just shoot every last car.  Today, with digital photography being like free beer, you can take as many as your bladder can hold.

More than once I cruised into North Platte, Nebraska, cleaned out every store of slide film (both stores), and still ran out of film by the end of the day.  Next stores with slide film were 70 miles east or 200 miles west.

Scott Chatfield

Daniel Bourque

Scott,

I’ve found THE definitive photo for you--it shows waffle box 528541 in mid-metamorphosis with a half-original/half-replaced door in Jun 1998…

Ok, it’s not definitive, but it shows there were at least pieces of original doors still intact in 1998. The second image is a repainted Southern car (I think 528769) with a new door in Aug ’98. Both of these were shot on the BN in Cheyenne, WY—they weren’t that common up there, so I took pictures.

Hopefully these will help you narrow down the range.

Dan Bourque

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

darrell2010

Scott,

Going through my images from your time frame:

SOU 525996 (painted with NS logo 5/91) YSD 6/6/2-panel modified door, 9/94 Bellingham, WA
SOU 527485 (painted with NS logo 12/88) YSD 6/6/2-panel modified door, 6/93 Fife, WA
SOU 530619 (painted 7/78 new) PS (2-panels)/2-panel modified door), 9/94 Bellingham, WA
SOU 532061 (painted 4/80 new) PS (2-panels)/2-panel modified door), 9/94 Bellingham, WA

Not a very big sampling of cars with modified doors. During the same timeframe I shot another 11 Southern cars without modified doors. Still not a very big sampling, but might give a little guidance.

Darrell Sawyer