Topics

locked Saluda timing circuits

pschmidt3013@...

Just as a reminder, I'm looking for signal prints and other documentation on the timing circuits for Saluda Grade. My intent is to put this information together for a story in "Ties."

Any leads would be much appreciated. Thanks.
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA

O Fenton Wells

Paul, I don't know if this will help but I took these photos in the Fall of 1984 on a trip to Saluda.  You may use them if they will help your article
Fenton

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 6:04 AM <pschmidt3013@...> wrote:
Just as a reminder, I'm looking for signal prints and other documentation on the timing circuits for Saluda Grade. My intent is to put this information together for a story in "Ties."

Any leads would be much appreciated. Thanks.
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

pschmidt3013@...

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 04:41 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:
Paul, I don't know if this will help but I took these photos in the Fall of 1984 on a trip to Saluda.  You may use them if they will help your article
Fenton

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 6:04 AM <pschmidt3013@...> wrote:
Just as a reminder, I'm looking for signal prints and other documentation on the timing circuits for Saluda Grade. My intent is to put this information together for a story in "Ties."

Any leads would be much appreciated. Thanks.
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...
Thank you, Fenton. Those put me a step closer to the goal. Now I know there were cases and a signal at the start of circuit, as well as the sign, which I knew was there. And the signal was likely a fixed aspect yellow.
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA

O Fenton Wells

I thinkI still have the original slides and can provide a tiff image if needed.
Fenton

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 12:20 PM <pschmidt3013@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert Graham

Mr. Schmidt,

The signal illustrated in Fenton's photo at the start of the Saluda timing section is a 2 aspect signal, not a single fixed aspect. SOU fixed aspect signals on Eastern Lines in modern times were GRS model 2-D color lights. If a fixed aspect, it would only have a single target and aspect. These were common, for example, at approach boards from track warrant territory approaching TC territory. The signal Fenton photographed has a number plate, making it an intermediate signal. I would believe it could display amber (and is in his photo) "approach" and red, or "restricting". The pertinent SOU rule book for the era you are writing about would have a full discussion of signal aspects and their meanings under various types of operation. I am certain it would add much to your discussion. If you already have these materials, my apologies. I do not collect rule books and do not have one, but they should be easy to obtain.

Bob Graham

[...]

Thanks, Robert. I completely missed seeing those vertical numbers until much later, after my reply to Fenton. Elsewise I wouldn't have ID'd it incorrectly. I'm so accustomed to seeing white horizontal numerals on a black background at intermediates. I just figured it could not have been an absolute (in the middle of a grade!?) so thought that the "distant" sign was just missing. I appreciate the information. Another piece of the puzzle found!
--
Paul Schmidt
Sequim WA