From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io> on behalf of George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 10:09 AM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io <main@SouthernRailway.groups.io>
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Scales and scale tracks

Although it is a subject that does not get discussed much, scales were a very important feature at many yard, terminals and industries on the Southern. Data on them is quite scattered in the SRHA archives but it would be a worthwhile research topic if anyone is interested. Scales, like turntables and bridges were sometimes moved as their use at a location increased. Locations and dates are included in the ICC Valuation reports and on individual Val maps.

Most detailed scale drawings were produced by the manufacturers, installation drawings were by the railroad. A partial example (from very old microfilm) is attached....

Ike

George Courtney

Thanks,  I was just planning to add a scale house to my model railroad.

George Courtney