locked SOU 42' Gondola Questions

David Friedlander

Hi all,

I've had a model of a 42' Gondola made by PSC for quite some time.  I'm trying to understand what I actually have. There is no documentation in the box and nothing really at all about this model online.  Maybe the SRHA helped PSC when this model was originally imported? It strikes me as an odd model to import, but it seems rare, so maybe it was a good choice.

I was originally looking to paint and letter it for GB 180441 as shown on the 6th page from the last page in the SOU freight car color guide despite some of the cosmetic differences.

The box-end says "Southern Railway 42' Gondola (6-door), Enterprise Rwy. Equipment Co.  A photo of the box end:

My car is unpainted, but I found one that someone did up as car 315784 on brasstrains:
https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/119483/O-Brass-Model-PSC-SOU-Southern-42-Gondola-315784-Custom-Lhee-Do-Wrong-Box

While done well, I know good and well not to trust someone else's paint job. I took a look at my OCT 1968 ORER for both the 180200-180999 series and the 315700-315949 series and here is what I see below:

Interestingly, I measured the outside length (over the "strikers") to be 10.5" which translates to 42'. Even with couplers it still would be a foot short of the 45'11" listed for either series.  I am pretty sure the 180441 was wrong, but it looks like 315784 may be a foobie as well. (The dimensions are interestingly identical...more on that next.)

I then took a look at my Freight equipment diagram book (vol1) and after looking through the gondolas (all from a 1971 diagram book), found a few drawings that describe the above series, but not necessarily the car I have.  These are on pages G2154 and G2155. There in the special notes, it actually says that 315700-315949 were rebuilt into the 180200-180999 series in 1968.  The diagrams also note that the drop-bottom doors in the sill were made by Enterprise, which is the same name shown on the box ends, even though the car builder was very likely someone like Mt. Vernon.

So my questions are:
1. What do I have a model of? ie - What series is from?
2. Do we know if any made it to late the 60's? (and without retrofit)
3. If its unlikely such a car made it to the late 60's then I like my idea of sticking with my foobie repaint of it into 180441.  With that said, even with the ORER and the Diagram Book, I still need to figure out the LD LMT and the BLT Date. Any thoughts on those? The CAPY is 110000 and the LTWT is 45100. The "new" date would be in 1968, but I'm going to go with what I see on page G2155 and say this was built sometime back in 1940.

Thanks,
David Friedlander

William Harley

David,
This is a model of a Southern Coal Gondola.
The following information is from the Sunshine Models Prototype Data Sheet.
The Southern purchase 4447 of these from 1937-1941.
Cars from 1937 became CNO&TP 287000 - 287999 and AGS 315700 - 315949 (this is the series your car is numbered for).  Numbers from 175000 - 176344 from 1938, 176345 - 177376 from 1939 and 177377 - 178197 from 1941 were Southern cars.  The 1939 lot cars, the 176345 - 177376 series were built by Mt Vernon.  All other cars were built by ACF.
The cars were originally CAPY: 100,000.
I have a couple of photo’s from Bob’s Photos which show these cars in use without door locks in 1951 and 1957.
Hope this helps.
Bill Harley

On Apr 23, 2021, at 12:16 AM, David Friedlander <davidjfriedlander@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I've had a model of a 42' Gondola made by PSC for quite some time.  I'm trying to understand what I actually have. There is no documentation in the box and nothing really at all about this model online.  Maybe the SRHA helped PSC when this model was originally imported? It strikes me as an odd model to import, but it seems rare, so maybe it was a good choice.

I was originally looking to paint and letter it for GB 180441 as shown on the 6th page from the last page in the SOU freight car color guide despite some of the cosmetic differences.

The box-end says "Southern Railway 42' Gondola (6-door), Enterprise Rwy. Equipment Co.  A photo of the box end:
<scale-brass-psc-southern-railway-42.jpg>

My car is unpainted, but I found one that someone did up as car 315784 on brasstrains:
https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/119483/O-Brass-Model-PSC-SOU-Southern-42-Gondola-315784-Custom-Lhee-Do-Wrong-Box

While done well, I know good and well not to trust someone else's paint job. I took a look at my OCT 1968 ORER for both the 180200-180999 series and the 315700-315949 series and here is what I see below:

<G102_G112_1968 ORER.jpg>

[...]

David Friedlander <G102_G112_1968 ORER.jpg>

David Friedlander

Hi Bill,

Thank you for helping me with that information. Glad to see the other model is numbered correctly after all.  I'll have to think about what I want to do and either paint it similarly and weather it in rough shape, or possibly make some mods to it and/or just letter it in and Gothic and put it into MoW service with ties, tieplates, or rail.

Two questions if you don't mind me asking:
1. What source is Bob's Photo's? Is that someone on here, a photograph store, or similar?
2. By door locks, do you mean the ratcheting mechanisms on either side of the carbody?

Thanks,
David

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:14 AM William Harley via groups.io <williamharley=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

David Carpenter

David,
Bob is in Wallingford KY. He will be at the Neuse River show in Raleigh May 1-2. (Next weekend!) His number is 606-748-1811
David Carpenter

On Apr 23, 2021, at 11:30 PM, David Friedlander <davidjfriedlander@...> wrote:

[...]

TIM ANDREWS

Could this be a similar car?

Inline image

Photo was made January 10, 2020 in Chattanooga

On Friday, April 23, 2021, 11:31:34 PM EDT, David Friedlander <davidjfriedlander@...> wrote:

[...]

George Eichelberger

Tim:

No, Sou 992987 (according to the SR MoW records) is one of the high side gons built by Mt. VernonCar Co. in 1943. I’m sure the info is someplace but I cannot locate the car’s revenue road number.

The all steel drop bottom “DB” and double drop bottom “DDB” “coal cars” of the earlier period did not hold up well because their steel could not handle the acid from coal. The Southern went through a series of all steel gons then shifted to composite cars before returning to all steel gons. Few cars from the teens and twenties (incl USRA types) were rebuilt because they were twenty-ish years old when the depression made most any kind of cars unnecessary.

Ike

On Apr 24, 2021, at 10:46 AM, TIM ANDREWS <ANDREWSTIM@...> wrote:

Could this be a similar car?

<1619275245435blob.jpg>

[...]

All,

Thanks for the extra history.  I didn't realize coal has acid in it that would eat away at steel cars, but that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for Bob's number. I haven't lived in Raleigh for close to a decade now, but would go every year to the Neuse River Show during my childhood.  The Sipping and Switching layout was always something I remembered enjoying watching.  Unfortunately I can't visit home that weekend since I have a vaccine appointment that I should not skip.

David Friedlander