Topics

moderated Southern and Southwestern Railway Club

Charles Harris

I am not sure if my subject is directly related to this group but would like to be in contact with the above group re historical information from 1946 and there Volume 34 or
35.      It is re the demo of Ingalls 4-S  at Terminal Station Track 13 in Atlanta GA on 21 st March, 1946.  Shown to Southern, L&N, GM&O, and Seaboard.   Ref is    The Atlanta Constitution newspaper of 21st March 1946, page 14.

Has anyone have any contact details or able to assist in any way ?

Thankyou

Charles Harris

Ed Mims

I’m pretty certain that the Southern and Southwestern Railway  Club became inactive many years ago. In its last years N&W and Southern (and NS) would not support it. This spread to the other southeastern roads and it folded. I have no idea what might have happened to the records. The club secretary was from the N&W. He would be the most likely one to have the records if he is still alive. His sir name was Mastrangelo. He was from Roanoke and moved to Norfolk after the NS merger. Perhaps someone on this list knows him. I believe he would now be in his 80s if still alive.

You might check with the N&W HS to see if they have the meeting minutes.

Ed Mims

I am not sure if my subject is directly related to this group but would like to be in contact with the above group re historical information from 1946 and there Volume 34 or
35.      It is re the demo of Ingalls 4-S  at Terminal Station Track 13 in Atlanta GA on 21 st March, 1946.  Shown to Southern, L&N, GM&O, and Seaboard.   Ref is    The Atlanta Constitution newspaper of 21st March 1946, page 14.

Has anyone have any contact details or able to assist in any way ?

Thankyou

Charles Harris

Robert Hanson

The Atlanta Constitution is now the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Try reaching them at ajc.com/contacts.  This will give you a list of contacts and their e-mail addresses.

Or you can phone them at 404-526-7003.

Hope this helps.

Bob Hanson
Loganville, GA

I am not sure if my subject is directly related to this group but would like to be in contact with the above group re historical information from 1946 and there Volume 34 or
35.      It is re the demo of Ingalls 4-S  at Terminal Station Track 13 in Atlanta GA on 21 st March, 1946.  Shown to Southern, L&N, GM&O, and Seaboard.   Ref is    The Atlanta Constitution newspaper of 21st March 1946, page 14.

Has anyone have any contact details or able to assist in any way ?

Thankyou

Charles Harris

Charles Harris

Thanks Ed and Robert.

Organization still going.  A reply I got gave me a contact.  Details of there comments:-

******************
My name is Mike Rutkowski, and I'm currently the Secretary for the Southern Southwestern Railway Club.  I've been in the Rail Industry for 15 years, a participant of the club for 10+ years, and a board member for the last 4 years.

As for what our group does today, we hold a Vendor/Customer "Reception/Outing" 2 times per year.  One in Jacksonville, FL in the Winter, and one in Altoona, PA in the summer.  The Outings are pretty informal, but still focus on bringing Rail related vendors together with active Railroaders from NS, CSX, Genesee & Wyoming Rail, and others in the area.

Email is:     mike@...

Thankyou

Charles Harris
New Zealand

Ed Mims

This is interesting. I had not heard about the Southern & Southwestern Railway Club in about 30 years and had assumed that it had vanished. I was once president of the club in the mid-80s. It was struggling then to maintain railroad members. Vendors always outnumbered RR members at the meetings. The RR members were almost entirely from the Mechanical Dept. and Purchasing and Stores Dept.

What is described below sounds like what was once known as the Cleveland Roamers which was active in the 70s and 80s and perhaps longer. It was much less formal than the S & SW. Meeting were centered around golf followed by a very informal dinner. The S & SW met quarterly and usually held the January meeting in Jacksonville and rotated other meetings between Atlanta, Richmond and Roanoke. The summer outing was generally held at the Ponta Vedra Club. Wives were invited to the outing.

I retired from CSX in 1997 after 34 years’ service.

Ed Mims