Topics

moderated Southern and Southwestern Railway Club

Charles Harris

In the Atlanta Constitution newspaper for Thursday 21 March 1946, page 14, there was an article headed 'Terminal' Host To First Diesel Built In The South.   This outlined an exhibition being held that day for the Ingalls 4-S locomotive.

The exhibition to  Seaboard, L&N, GM&O, and Southern Railroads, was arranged by Southern and Southwestern Railway Club.  This club still in existence, but unable to help with info for me.

I understand that Southern Railway with others were members of this club.

Does Southern Railway have in your archives have information about above exhibition, and maybe an evaluation report.

The Railway Club issued regular 'Proceedings of Southern and Southwestern Railway Club' and a regular magazine.  Any copies in your archives ?, especially for March 1946 !
Any help much appreciated.
Thankyou

George Eichelberger

Charles:

While I do not know of anything in the SRHA archives on the Ingalls locomotive, there are thousands of files in the collection, so I can say “maybe”. There is an archives work session next weekend. You are welcome to come and check the Presidents’ files and photos for something on the loco. There could also be something in the (large) Marvin Black diesel data collection.

Do you have specific information about the engine operating on the Southern?

Ike

On Jun 16, 2019, at 3:33 AM, Charles Harris <railroads@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi George

Thanks for your response.  As much as I would like to make it to the work session, I cannot, live in New Zealand!
If you happen to come across any reference to the Ingalls that would be great.  The only ref to Southern I have is the newspaper article, other comments online say it was 'demonstrated' to Southern, but the exhibition may be what they were referring to.
Thanks

Charlie Harris

George Eichelberger

Charles:

Can you give me an approximate date the unit was in Atlanta? That would narrow the number of Presidents files to look for this weekend.

If the loco got from Ingalls in Pascagola to Atlanta on the L&N (logical) the chances of finding something on it in the records are small unless they tried to sell the model to the Southern. Marvin Black accumulated a lot of builders sales info…another place to look.

Ike

Did the newspaper article specifically say which depot, Terminal or Union station?

On Jun 16, 2019, at 4:41 PM, Charles Harris <railroads@...> wrote:

Hi George

Thanks for your response.  As much as I would like to make it to the work session, I cannot, live in New Zealand!
If you happen to come across any reference to the Ingalls that would be great.  The only ref to Southern I have is the newspaper article, other comments online say it was 'demonstrated' to Southern, but the exhibition may be what they were referring to.
Thanks

Charlie Harris

Charles Harris

Hi
on
The article says at  :   between 2pm and 5pm    on   Track 13 at the  Terminal Station.

Date of display was       Thursday March 21  1946

No need to spend your time on this as you have heaps to do.

Thankyou

Charles Harris