Sent: Sun, Jul 5, 2020 7:14 pm
Subject: Re: [SouthernRailway] Southern Crescent Consists

Looked thru a few of my slides to locate one showing most or all of the consist, and here is one of  #1, at Duluth GA, on April 1, 1978.
There are 9 Southern cars, with what looks like at least 2 Amtrak cars on the rear.

I had also photographed #1 here two days before, on March 30th, and that train had a total of 9 cars, all of them Southern, no Amtrak.

And on one of my trips to the D.C area in -- I believe -- also 1978, there was a transit strike, and at Alexandria, a good number of people
boarded #2 there, for the trip into D.C.  One of the classiest "commuter" trains there was, to ride into work that day!

 ~ Mark

Bill Schafer

Well, well, well, Mark,

How fortunate you shot the rear of the train at Peachtree Station, Atlanta. It prompts me to amend my earlier comments about the train based on your earlier photo of the front of the train.

* What I thought was a second Crescent-series car back in the train turns out to be a fourth sleeper. When I took a closer look at your photo of the head end, what I thought was a door on the side of the car (which is why I thought it was a lounge) was instead a whistle post.

* The three coaches on the rear of no. 1 on April 1, 1978, may have all been in service. Displayed in the rear door of coach 835 is “0118”, which would be a designation of an extra coach. SOU was pretty good about identifying each car in a train with numbers indicating the current train they were operating in (unlike Amtrak today), and 0118 would be the designation of an extra coach, in service, in this particular train 1.

* I guess I’ll have to take back what I said earlier about Amtrak cars operating in the Southern Crescent consist only on the days it went to/from New Orleans. Based on your photo, it now appears to me that Amtrak cars could (and did) operate in a Southern Crescent that terminated/originated in Atlanta.

My memory too is getting rusty, and it’s data like your photos that can help keep me straight!

—Bill

On Jul 6, 2020, at 10:59, Mark Demaline via groups.io <conductor7@...> wrote:

Bill,
 In looking thru more of my SOU slides, I realized I DID have one of the rear of the 4/01/78 train, as I had arrived
at Peachtree in time to see him arrive and let the passengers off the train. I took some head-end photos, and then
stayed until the train departed, getting a photo of the last three cars -- which turned out to be that Amtrak car, plus
two more Southern cars. So here is one showing the rear of that 12 car train.  Hey, I'm getting old, and my memory
is a bit rusty!  ~ Mark D

Looked thru a few of my slides to locate one showing most or all of the consist, and here is one of  #1, at Duluth GA, on April 1, 1978.
There are 9 Southern cars, with what looks like at least 2 Amtrak cars on the rear.

I had also photographed #1 here two days before, on March 30th, and that train had a total of 9 cars, all of them Southern, no Amtrak.

And on one of my trips to the D.C area in -- I believe -- also 1978, there was a transit strike, and at Alexandria, a good number of people
boarded #2 there, for the trip into D.C.  One of the classiest "commuter" trains there was, to ride into work that day!

 ~ Mark

<SOU.wb #1.rear of tr.Peachtree Sta.Atlanta,04.01.78.Mark Demaine photo.c.2020.jpg>

Mark Demaline

Kind Thanks, Bill !   Will add that to my notes. ~ Mark