locked Southern F3 Air Tank Dimensions and Lettering Dimensions

David Friedlander

All,

I'm currently trying to figure out three things for Southern (Phase 3) F3's that had the Rooftop Tanks:
1. Does anyone have photos or drawings of the roofs to determine where piping for the tanks should be routed? Don't see anything really good in my books, though I found this really nice G-scale build: http://dieseldetailer.proboards.com/thread/15115/another-southern-f3a

2. Does anyone know the actual dimensions for the tanks?  I know they're not the same as the E8.

3. I noticed the southernmodeler.info site is gone.  Do the lettering diagrams (dimensions, etc.) for the yellow lettering on the green units exist online?

Thanks,
David Friedlander

George Eichelberger

Southern drawing DL-3304 shows the aftercooler piping for “Freight Units”. I will see if there is a digital version of the air tanks drawing tomorrow. If not, I expect there is a hard copy of the drawing in the archives at TVRM.

Ike

PS The Friday and Saturday work session got all of the Presidents’, Central of Georgia Executive Dept and ICC Field Notes unpacked and on the reinstalled shelves. The next formal work session is not until November (dates are on the SRHA.net web site) but we will be there before the planned session. If anyone wants to see the archives after next weekend, send a note to archives@....

David Friedlander

Ike,

Wish I had that diagram when I did my F7 freight units.  Maybe I'll go back and redo the piping I did to make them more realistic.

Wish the archive was closer, so I could volunteer there...it doesn't help that I recently moved even further away up to NYC.

David Friedlander

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 11:58 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
Southern drawing DL-3304 shows the aftercooler piping for “Freight Units”. I will see if there is a digital version of the air tanks drawing tomorrow. If not, I expect there is a hard copy of the drawing in the archives at TVRM.

Ike

PS The Friday and Saturday work session got all of the Presidents’, Central of Georgia Executive Dept and ICC Field Notes unpacked and on the reinstalled shelves. The next formal work session is not until November (dates are on the SRHA.net web site) but we will be there before the planned session. If anyone wants to see the archives after next weekend, send a note to archives@....

George Eichelberger

David:

One of the reasons we established “ModelingTheSouthern@groups.io” (a sub-group of SouthernRailway@groups.io) is to create a “place” where we can focus on accurate SR modeling information AND extend access to the archives for folks that cannot get to Chattanooga easily. I’m not certain, but I think people have to subscribe to “ModelingTheSouthern” before they get postings. With the archives work of the last couple of weeks, we have not done much with the modeling group but that needs to be corrected.

One thing we would like to include is simply an album of Southern and CofG models that people have done. Just seeing what other have done/are working on is a great “starter” for new projects. If anyone would like to help moderate the group, please let me know and we’ll set it up.

It is not possible to respond to individual data requests from everyone (SRHA members will have priority) but locating and posting drawings for projects we are seeing will be easier to do.

I’ve attached an example of a SR car I wanted to model the first time I saw it, a 50’ container flat. The cars were built to load bagged Kaolin to the Port of Savannah without unloading the 20’ containers. They replaced using 89’ ft TTX cars (imagine switching those around in a middle Georgia Kaolin plant!)

We have all of the drawings the Southern used to modify standard 50’ flats for the service.

Ike

On Oct 22, 2018, at 12:18 AM, davidfriedlandernc <davidjfriedlander@...> wrote:

[...]

<DL-3304 aftercooler pipe arrt.jpeg><DL-3304 aftercooler pipe arrt.jpeg>

David Friedlander

All,

I will most definitely join the modeling list once established.  I'd help moderate it too if desired.

In regards to my Question #1 and #2:
I looked through my digital library and found Bob Harpe's build for these.  I feel very blessed to have a PDF of it, as it answers my questions for #1 and #2. Thank you Bob for the detailed build and Allen Cain for producing the PDF.  Though I did notice that a few of the pictures I'm looking at, it looks like 4136, 4140, and 4143 match Bob's roof piping, but every other photo I see seems to show the tanks on the fireman side connected together rather than doing into the roof.  Thoughts?

Following up to Question #3:
Looking closely... the Yellow lettering on the Green Tuxedo locomotives be the same font as the Gold lettering on the Black Tuxedo locomotives...just a lot smaller.  Do others agree?

If the sizing is the same as the FT diagram I have, the yellow SOUTHERN should be 7" tall and the numbers should be 5.5" tall.  Do folks agree with that?

Additional question:
Looks like the SOUTHERN lettering is DL-6015 and the numbers are DL-3039.   The CNO&TP units had lettering near the rear.  Does anyone have a copy of DL-6016 for the CNO&TP lettering?  I'm willing to draw the letters and provide them to Ike to put on the Google Drive, or groups.io, or wherever is most convenient for all to use for their modeling.

Thanks for your time,
David Friedlander