locked Southern Freight Cars in 1946

George Eichelberger

Work at the SRHA archives continues to scan, label and then file Mechanical and Engineering Dep’t. documents. As scanning needs to be done at the archives, we will always have a backlog of files that need to be cleaned up and labeled. Once something has been scanned we can put it into our digital files that are organized by category, year, etc. As the digital files are organized by subject matter, scans of different documents relating to that topic can be in a single digital file rather than random paper files and boxes. For example, the “40’ Box Car Memos” directory has 1,011 items using 3.19GB of memory.

This week end’s work session will continue the scanning, sorting and organizing all of the archives document and drawing collections. If there are any questions about the process, and offers to help or donate to acquire additional equipment, or pay people to help with the work, contact archives@....

I’ve attached a two-page example from 3-7-1946 discussing Southern’s freight cars. Note the “mix” of car types is completely different from today’s Norfolk Southern car fleet.

Ike
1946-3-7 56,983 frt cars on SR Pg 1.jpeg

1946-3-7 56,983 frt cars on SR Pg 2.jpeg

Gary Bechdol

Ike:

If I read the report right, almost half of the plain boxcars in service on January 1,  1946, were the 36' SU boxcars.

Gary Bechdol
Stone Mountain, GA

On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 9:31 AM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
[...]

Gary:

The July, 1944 RER shows 13,186 36’ XM box cars and 353 36’ vent box cars of a total of 31,707 box cars of all types and sizes
The July, 1948 RER shows 6,756 36’ XM box cars and 148 36’ vent box cars of a total of 28,830 box cars of all types and sizes

The reduction in total box cars 44 to 48 is not so much due to less traffic but to increased capy and size as 40’ box cars were added and that many 36’ cars were bad ordered and in the (post war) process of being scrapped.

Going back to July, 1937, there were 23,988 box cars of all types (about 6,000 were 40’), 1,524 were “vents”.

With the addition of Frank Peacock’s collection of RERs, the SRHA archives have a nearly complete set. Frank also left a significant number of Locomotive and Car & Locomotive “Cycs” to SRHA. (Our promise to Frank was to keep them in the archives and make them available for research.)

Ike