Topics

locked Southern P-S 40' box car 262054

George Eichelberger

In looking for a photo of a HO model produced by Kadee (the model has black paint on the ends, we have talked about them here) for a question on the steam era freight car group, I sent the attached photo of Southern 262064 as “evidence” it is likely only the one car produced by Kadee, Southern 262063, had black ends.

Looking more closely at the Oscar Kimsey photo taken of 262064 at Augusta, GA 5-21-73, I see a real “mystery” gondola with high ends (usually for loading pipe). I may be reading the road number 60608 wrong, or there is a missing digit, but I cannot find any similar cars in the Southern freight car diagram books or the RER.

Does anyone have any ideas what it is? The Southern did not use the “SOU” reporting mark in 1973 and it is in a completely wrong place on the car.

Ike

Dan Sparks

Ike,

Could it be a pulpwood flat with a gon behind it? Looks like the ribs cut off at the same level as the deck of a pulpwood car.

Dan

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 6:35 PM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
In looking for a photo of a HO model produced by Kadee (the model has black paint on the ends, we have talked about them here) for a question on the steam era freight car group, I sent the attached photo of Southern 262064 as “evidence” it is likely only the one car produced by Kadee, Southern 262063, had black ends.

Looking more closely at the Oscar Kimsey photo taken of 262064 at Augusta, GA 5-21-73, I see a real “mystery” gondola with high ends (usually for loading pipe). I may be reading the road number 60608 wrong, or there is a missing digit, but I cannot find any similar cars in the Southern freight car diagram books or the RER.

Does anyone have any ideas what it is? The Southern did not use the “SOU” reporting mark in 1973 and it is in a completely wrong place on the car.

Ike

Sam Smith

The only thing I can gleaned from that photo is that it is/was cut down from a boxcar at some point. This is based on the end, which appears to be that of a boxcar. It also appears to me, to have possible been converted to a pulpwood rack, then reconfigured to a gondola. I just can't recall off the top of my head, if the Southern did any "re-rebuilding" (so to speak) back then.

Sam Smith

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 6:42 PM, Dan Sparks
<danrsparks73@...> wrote:
[...]

James

I have to agree with Dan.  That is a pulpwood car with a gondola sitting on the track behind it.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

George Eichelberger

I agree, Dan figured it out. the 60xxx road number is correct for a gon and the box car end is correct for one of the box car to wood rack conversions. The photo is like a double exposure or optical illusion….

Ike

On Apr 29, 2020, at 7:29 PM, James <nsc39dash8@...> wrote:

I have to agree with Dan.  That is a pulpwood car with a gondola sitting on the track behind it.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

Bill Schafer

It looks to me as if it is a car used to transport panel track accompanying a derrick. Panel track consisted of pre-fab sections of track, 39’ rail spiked to new ties, that was used to put the railroad back in service quickly at a derailment site. The 39’ rail sections conveniently nested in an open car with bulkheads 40’ or so apart. I vaguely remember the early panel track cars having low sides to hold a stack of panels (a.k.a. “snap track”) in place. That is, if my mind is not playing tricks on me!

—Bill

On Apr 29, 2020, at 18:58, Sam Smith via groups.io <sam_smith2004@...> wrote:

[...]

<Sou 262054 40' box car Augusta, GA 5-21-73.jpeg>

<Sou 262054 40' box car Augusta, GA 5-21-73.jpeg>

Bill Schafer

On a closer look, I think Dan had the right explanation. Looking closely at the low-res photo, it does look as if a gondola is behind one of those old pulpwood cars.

—Bill

On Apr 30, 2020, at 07:00, Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Roderick

Bill:

I agree with you about that a pulpwood car next to the boxcar. The giveaway is what a flatcar looks like.

Mike

On Apr 30, 2020, at 07:03, Bill Schafer <bill4501@...> wrote:

[...]

O Fenton Wells

Gentlemen, that is in fact a pulpwood rack coupled to the PS-1.  It is one of the racks built in Spencer in the early 1950's from the SR 40 double sheathed automobile furniture cars.

image.png

[...]

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Ike,

That strange car you’re talking about looks like two cars.  One on the near track is a bulkhead flat and the one beyond is a gondola.  I might be wrong but that’s what it looks like to me.

Ed Locklin at mp367.

In looking for a photo of a HO model produced by Kadee (the model has black paint on the ends, we have talked about them here) for a question on the steam era freight car group, I sent the attached photo of Southern 262064 as “evidence” it is likely only the one car produced by Kadee, Southern 262063, had black ends.

Looking more closely at the Oscar Kimsey photo taken of 262064 at Augusta, GA 5-21-73, I see a real “mystery” gondola with high ends (usually for loading pipe). I may be reading the road number 60608 wrong, or there is a missing digit, but I cannot find any similar cars in the Southern freight car diagram books or the RER.

Does anyone have any ideas what it is? The Southern did not use the “SOU” reporting mark in 1973 and it is in a completely wrong place on the car.

Ike

Robert Graham

The car coupled directly behind the faded SOU PS-1 40ft XM is one of the SOU Spencer Shops rebuilt pulpwood racks, empty. Behind it on an adjacent track is a gondola. I've attached a photo I made Jan 2 1970 in Burlington NC of one of those LP's rebuilt from 40ft AAR boxcars by Spencer. I am somewhat surprised none of the members of this august group recognized that iconic Southern Ry pulpwood rack!

Bob Graham

[...]

Except for my old friend Fenton Wells. I missed reading some of my email inbox. Sorry for the dislocation.

Bob Graham

[...]

Jason Greene

Did these cars have flat decks or were they sloped?

Jason Greene

On Apr 30, 2020, at 3:06 PM, Robert Graham <rgraham2@...> wrote:

[...]

<SOU LP 128873 view 2 BurlingtonNC 01-02-70 BobGraham photo 5x7 dpi300002.jpg>

Robert Graham

shallow v-shaped slope.

[...]

Bob is correct they were V shaped with drain slots in the bottom of the drain.

shallow v-shaped slope.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

George Eichelberger

Jason:

Here are three wood rack items from the SRHA archives.

The first “pulpwood loading instructions” explains why the cars’ floor needed to be sloped inward.

The second is a stencil drawing showing measurement marks along the car side sill to determine how much was in the load, and,

the third is a very nice drawing of the wood racks converted from 36’ box car. Note the end view shows how the sloped floor was constructed on the box car floor.

Ike
PS Something to discuss another time…the wood grain drawn on the ends of the boards describe exactly what kind of wood was to be used.

On Apr 30, 2020, at 5:35 PM, Jason Greene <jason.p.greene@...> wrote:

[...]

Ooops, I believe that is a flat car conversion drawing!

Ike

Jason Greene

A wood deck. That would make for a different model. Might have to save these for a future project. The layout does have two pulpwood yards.

Jason Greene

On Apr 30, 2020, at 8:14 PM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Jason:

Here are three wood rack items from the SRHA archives.

The first “pulpwood loading instructions” explains why the cars’ floor needed to be sloped inward.

The second is a stencil drawing showing measurement marks along the car side sill to determine how much was in the load, and,

the third is a very nice drawing of the wood racks converted from 36’ box car. Note the end view shows how the sloped floor was constructed on the box car floor.

Ike
PS Something to discuss another time…the wood grain drawn on the ends of the boards describe exactly what kind of wood was to be used.

<PulpwoodLoadingInstr9-1-55.jpeg>

<SF-30044 pulpwood marking.jpeg>

<SF-2309A.jpeg>