locked Southern Ps4 4-6-2 Crescent Paint Question

Ray Bedard <tczephyr@...>

I'm in the process of painting a Ps4 4-6-2 in the Crescent Ltd green. Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand and what green best represents the prototype?
Thanks,
RAY

Curt Fortenberry

The best SR green, that never starts an argument here ;-)

Could ask over on the SR modeling group too.  ModelingTheSouthern@...

Curt Fortenberry

O Fenton Wells

My choice is Scale Coat Southern Green, I for brass and II for plastic
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Jeffrey Thompson

First time posting.  Hello to all.

Agree with Southern Scalecoat I for brass and II for plastic. Experimenting with Trucolor greens now.

Most of these are Scalecoat and variation seems to be with different amounts of clear and dull coats.

Jeff Thompson

On Feb 18, 2021, at 12:48 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

My choice is Scale Coat Southern Green, I for brass and II for plastic
Fenton

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM Curt Fortenberry <curtfortenberry@...> wrote:

The best SR green, that never starts an argument here ;-)

Could ask over on the SR modeling group too.  ModelingTheSouthern@...

Curt Fortenberry

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Michael Roderick

Jeff:

Nice set of Southern Green on display.

Mike Roderick

On Feb 18, 2021, at 14:18, Jeffrey Thompson <jhtmd1@...> wrote:

 First time posting.  Hello to all.

Agree with Southern Scalecoat I for brass and II for plastic. Experimenting with Trucolor greens now.

Most of these are Scalecoat and variation seems to be with different amounts of clear and dull coats.

<image0.jpeg>

Jeff Thompson

On Feb 18, 2021, at 12:48 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

My choice is Scale Coat Southern Green, I for brass and II for plastic
Fenton

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM Curt Fortenberry <curtfortenberry@...> wrote:

The best SR green, that never starts an argument here ;-)

Could ask over on the SR modeling group too.  ModelingTheSouthern@...

Curt Fortenberry

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

jackvaradi

Fenton,
Beautiful collection of SRR Steam! Didn't see the F-1.
Thanks,
Jack

On Thursday, February 18, 2021, 02:18:56 PM EST, Jeffrey Thompson <jhtmd1@...> wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately that's not my beautiful collection of Southern locos

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

George Courtney

Jeff,

    In your Southern Passenger loco lineup, are any PS-3's?  I would guess next to your beautiful, 1380.  Sheer dumb curiousity.

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton

Ray, sorry to be slow in answering.

The finishing practices for steam engines changed in 1934 and I don't
think any of the special lettered Crescent Limited engines were
repainted in the new style before the train was discontinued. The old
scheme was provided with gold leaf lining and striping and the whole
engine varnished before it went into service; the later scheme used an
enamel-type finish with striping and lettering painted on using
imitation gold and the varnish coat was left off. T

The varnish is what made the difference; the older colour is
sometimes referred to as "Virginia Green" and reportedly appeared
slightly darker than the later colour. Dupont colours were used in
both styles and, as far as I can tell after the thick end of ninety
years, the basic shade of green didn't change significantly as the
paint name stayed the same.

Varnish of the period tended to be a deep amber colour which acted as
a sort of filter on the reflected light, resulting in a rather deeper
and richer finish then the bare enamel paint. In full size work you
can still achieve this look by using yacht varnish over the top coat,
but the very thin coat you would need for model work would lose much
of the effect. If you can get Scalecoat paints ( we haven't seen them
in these parts for many years and my last bottle has now passed on)
then a little dab of reddish brown added to their Southern green will
get you some of the way.

Aidrian

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 4:38 PM Ray Bedard <tczephyr@hotmail.com> wrote:

I'm in the process of painting a Ps4 4-6-2 in the Crescent Ltd green. Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand and what green best represents the prototype?
Thanks,
RAY

Jeffrey Thompson

George,

No Ps-3 engines in the line-up. Only Ps-4s.

Jeff