Topics

locked Southern Ps-4 picture info

Jeffrey Thompson

Hello, new to the group. It was highly recommended by a fellow modeler.  I need some information regarding a photo of a Southern Ps-4.  Does anyone recognize the area, date, and most important the cab number of the engine?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks so much.

Jason Greene

Looks like Atlanta at Terminal Station.

Jason Greene

On Apr 10, 2020, at 2:50 PM, jhtmd1@... wrote:

Hello, new to the group. It was highly recommended by a fellow modeler.  I need some information regarding a photo of a Southern Ps-4.  Does anyone recognize the area, date, and most important the cab number of the engine?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks so much.

<C7A44173-223D-493A-B5B8-35AC713838A6.jpeg>

Jeffrey Thompson

Thanks Jason

Jeff Thompson

George Eichelberger

Jason:

I agree about Atlanta Term Station but I cannot confirm the location using the ATS interlocking drawing (GRS 2-1-39, last updated 9-23-40). The string of REA cars in the photo must be farther from the Railway Express building than they look? The paving across the tracks in front of the engine really helps….track 12?

Here’s a snippet from the drawing. At 100M, it’s too large to send and details would be lost if I tried to reduce the whole thing. The file the drawing comes from in the archives is on the rehab of the terminal’s interlocking.

Ike

On Apr 10, 2020, at 3:29 PM, Jason Greene <jason.p.greene@...> wrote:

Looks like Atlanta at Terminal Station.

Jason Greene

On Apr 10, 2020, at 2:50 PM, jhtmd1@... wrote:

Hello, new to the group. It was highly recommended by a fellow modeler.  I need some information regarding a photo of a Southern Ps-4.  Does anyone recognize the area, date, and most important the cab number of the engine?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks so much.

<C7A44173-223D-493A-B5B8-35AC713838A6.jpeg>

O Fenton Wells

I have a copy of the same photo I got from Shelby Lowe and he told me the photo was taken at Atlanta and in the early 1950's.  Don't know much more than that but I really like the "scene" and wished we had a copy that could be blown up for framing.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Charles Powell

What is the platform on the back deck of the tender?

C J Wyatt

I believe it made it easier to reach the water spout, though that practice was not common on other roads. In my opinion, it probably helped to keep one's feet dry when the water overflowed the tender tank.

Jack Wyatt