Topics

locked Southern’s Single Window Coaches

Evan Miller

Hello everyone, Micro-Trains just released an N Scale Southern single window coach with road number 4500. I was wondering how common single window coaches were on the Southern, and does anyone have any information on the class the 4500 was in?

-Evan Miller

George Eichelberger

Evan:

While there were a few Southern paired window 13xx coaches built by PSCCo, far and away most from the “heavyweight” era were single window designs. Here’s an example from an old “Cyc”.

Ike

On Jul 17, 2020, at 9:17 AM, Evan Miller via groups.io <nsrailfan82@...> wrote:

Hello everyone, Micro-Trains just released an N Scale Southern single window coach with road number 4500. I was wondering how common single window coaches were on the Southern, and does anyone have any information on the class the 4500 was in?

-Evan Miller

Bill Schafer

As far as I can tell, SOU had no coaches in the 4500-series. The few passenger cars numbered 4500s were some heavyweight Pullmans acquired in the Pullman split of 1948. Also, a couple baggage-RPOs and 12 of those elegant baggage cars converted from surplus Pullmans at Hayne Shop in the 1950s. They were “owned” by (and sublettered for) the NO&NE.

I don’t know how prototypical this model is supposed to be, but its number is wrong for a coach.

—Bill

On Jul 22, 2020, at 09:35, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

Evan:

While there were a few Southern paired window 13xx coaches built by PSCCo, far and away most from the “heavyweight” era were single window designs. Here’s an example from an old “Cyc”.

Ike

<Sou 1464 coach from Cyc copy.tiff>