From: george eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
Subject: Re: Southern steam-jet AC on GG-1 pulled trains
Date: August 24, 2020 at 10:02:59 AM EDT

I can never be certain posting “prototype” letters from the SRHA archives will be of interest to the group so I appreciate the additional details about the Southern passenger services north of Washington. One point to make…..although the PRR did not use steam ejector AC, its passenger cars all used steam heat and for hot water. It’s not so much a question of the Southern consist being in front or back of the PRR train, it’s a question of train length. PRR cars that did not require much steam still added to the length of the train line, and condensation.

The PRR/CR/PC relationship between the Southern and other roads’ through trains (north of DC ) was a finely tuned operation. Just changing the power at WUT had to be done but entire consists were broken up and changed. Not every car that came “from the South” continued past WUT.

Here is a list of Southern/PRR trains at WUT from a letter dated 2-26-52 (very tight crop and reduced resolution to limit size). (Hopefully, the page 1 onionskin can be ironed flat and re-scanned.)

Ike

\

George Eichelberger

Another post to the PCL about AC on Southern passenger equip.

Ike

PS If anyone is interested, I will post the Google Drive link to the presentation I mention here.

Begin forwarded message:

From: george eichelberger <geichelberger@...>
Date: August 24, 2020 at 7:46:42 PM EDT

Dave:

Yes, there are references to steam to electro-mech AC conversions throughout the SRHA archives. The question has never come up before so I do not know precise numbers or dates. It would be an interesting exercise, particularly if there was a relationship to cars used in through train service. Here is a page from a 1-22-54 Hayne Shop memo that refers to various Southern passenger car generator and AC programs.

Another, completely different, subject that concerned steam and electro-mechanical AC was on the WWII hospital cars. The Southern originated many trains from the Charleston POE to hospitals all over the country so wounded soldiers, sailors and Marines could convalesce near their homes and family. The selection of hospital and kitchen cars, and the Pullmans that accompanied the trains were dictated somewhat by the railroads they were to travel on and what kind of AC those roads used. I think I included that topic in a clinic I did at the Cocoa Beach RPM a few years ago. (I can re-post the (silent) presentation if anyone is interested in the subject of hospital, troop and POW trains.)

Ike