locked Stencil help need for another Southern Rwy boxcar

Matt Bumgarner

Hi everyone-

In addition to the 50ft boxcar that Jim King is assisting the Craggy Mountain Line in restoring, the SE Narrow Gauge & Shortline Museum needs help with a 40 ft SR boxcar.

Our car will first serve as a temporary shop facility for our museum, and then rotate to display once our shop building is complete.

Our car is Southern Railway boxcar 46831. This boxcar was built in December of 1940 by the Pullman-Standard Company and served the Southern Railway for 4 decades, last being serviced in 1979.
The current road number of the car reflects rebuilding under the Southern Car Program 937 between 1968-72. The boxcars were modified in 1968 at the Berwick Forge & Foundry in Pennsylvania. During the rebuild program 1200 boxcars were strengthened with heavier side sills and had their doors enlarged from 6 ft. to 9ft. The cars' ratings were also upgraded from 40 tons to 50 tons and the old round “Southern Serves the South” logos were upgraded to the newer “Green Light to Innovations” paint scheme, and new numbers were applied to the car series (Unfortunately, we are as of yet unable to determine the original number of our car).

Any help with paint diagrams, history/orginal number, etc, will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Matt Bumgarner

George Eichelberger

Southern 46831 was rebuilt and renumbered from Sou 14412 5-2-68.

The re-write of the SRHA Southern Railway 40’ box car book will include material on all of the Southern and CofG rebuild programs. If folks will help with research in the Hayne Shop files, the book can be published this year. Photos of any SR 40’ box car are welcome to be included.

Ike

Matt Bumgarner

Who is da man?
Ike is da man.

Thanks so much!

Matt

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 9:44 AM George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:
Southern 46831 was rebuilt and renumbered from Sou 14412 5-2-68.

The re-write of the SRHA Southern Railway 40’ box car book will include material on all of the Southern and CofG rebuild programs. If folks will help with research in the Hayne Shop files, the book can be published this year. Photos of any SR 40’ box car are welcome to be included.

Matt:

The original and rebuild stencil schemes are in the original version of the 40’ box car book. (I can send larger versions and individual stencil drawings (full size) if needed.

Why don’t you gather some of the SR faithful in NC and plan a work session at the archives? The L&NHS is moving in and very soon there will be more on the development of a TVRM museum in a 10,000 sq ft building, just across Turntable Road from the archives building. (Work continues on the model railroad on the first floor in the TVRM headquarters building.)

Ike