locked The Murphy Branch and Fontana Dam construction

George Eichelberger

The SR Presidents' files include correspondence on the Southern's Murphy branch spanning multiple years. The attached letter from TVA to the Southern, dated March 16, 1943 proposes that the railroad temporarily close the Murphy branch past the Fontana Dam construction area. The file also includes comments from local newspaper and shippers.

The Murphy Branch certainly warrants a full article in a future TIES. If any SRHA member is interested to go to the archives for research, we could begin that effort in the next month or so.

Ike

Michael Roderick

Ike:

This is a very interesting letter to read and if you come up with more it would help answer some questions that I have.

Mike