locked The profile picture for the group

Will Kesler

Is there any full version or other shots of the photo that is used in the profile picture for the group.io? It appears to be Ps-4 #1394 but is there any context on where this is? I know 1394 was around Spencer North Carolina and there are many pictures at Reidsville. Any context of the photo is appreciated.

Will Kesler

George Eichelberger

The cab photo of 1394 is a 35mm Kodachrome color slide (ASA 10) taken by David Driscoll at  Reidsville, NC 10-9-51.  SRHA acquired Driscoll’s B&W negative collection about 30 years ago. His slides came to SRHA with the (large and important) Marvin Black collection. (The parts of both collections SRHA purchased were funded by member donations. Note the subtle reference to the importance of DONATIONS to the SRHA archives!)

The train number is typically on a Driscoll negative or slide but not on the cab view of 1394. The name of the Engineer is not recorded but the Fireman is Mr. Floyd A. Frick.

His family furniture business was beside the Southern main line in Reidsville (thus many photos there). He kept his camera close so when a different engine stopped at the depot, he would go out and get a photo, usually with a post-card negative size camera and B&W film. Many of his photos of trains at the depot were of Train 11 pulled by Ps-4s. (The Driscoll collection has a number of “first” and “last” run photos.)

A loco on that train did not necessarily mean a permanent assignment, Spencer Shops would use the train to “break in” engines after class repairs. They would return to the shop for any necessary adjustments and then be sent to their assigned terminal or Division.

Because of that, on many of his photos, you can almost “smell the paint” that may have been applied the day or so before. He also took the opportunity to take detail photos during the station stops.

Ike

PS Tentative plans are for Doug Alexander to present a Ps-4 modeling and prototype clinic at the joint convention.

The following photo, also an undated Kodachrome ASA10 slide by David Driscoll showing Tr 11 passing through Reidsville, probably when he started shooting Kodachrome slides around 1950?

On Jul 2, 2022, at 1:25 PM, Will Kesler <williamkesler354@...> wrote:

Is there any full version or other shots of the photo that is used in the profile picture for the group.io? It appears to be Ps-4 #1394 but is there any context on where this is? I know 1394 was around Spencer North Carolina and there are many pictures at Reidsville. Any context of the photo is appreciated.

C J Wyatt

I think it is worth mentioning that sometime in the late forties as more diesel locomotives arrived, the division assignment was dropped from the cab side. That is the case with No. 1394. The remaining steam locomotives were freely moved around to places where they could run off their remaining time. That lead to certain classes of steam engines being seen in places where they did not go during regular steam operations. If the SRHA archives has any files about this, I am sure a good and interesting story could be done about the last years. If no one is interested, I will put it on my list, but the list is pretty long now, and I am not making much headway.

Jack Wyatt

On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 03:45:16 PM EDT, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

[...]

That is neat, I’ll have to check some of those other slides out once the photo room is completed and then I will be able to see some of those photos.

George Eichelberger

The “Jim Wrinn” photo room at the SRHA archives is “complete” but far from completely organized….help is wanted during any archives work session!

Next work session is July 15/16.

Ike