From: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io [mailto:main@SouthernRailway.groups.io] On Behalf Of George Eichelberger
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 11:36 AM
To: main@SouthernRailway.groups.io
Subject: [SouthernRailway] Washington, DC Lafayette Park drawing

We have mentioned the rare and unusual items to be found in the SRHA archives before. Here is an example of "unusual". Why the Southern prepared a drawing (attached) of the
the trees in Lafayette Park (directly across Pennsylvania Ave. from the White House) is unknown. The Southern Railway headquarters building (sold) is to the left.

If anyone is interested in working on a TIES article related to any of the contracts that have been scanned, we can attempt to locate a corresponding Presidents file at the June work session. At last weekend's work session, I was pleased to find a number of files that corresponded to the different contracts. A new list of scanned contracts will be posted next week.

If anyone is interested in working on a TIES article related to any of the contracts, we can attempt to locate a corresponding Presidents file at the June work session. Please contact me off list at archives@...

While it is hard to predict how much research time anyone can spend in the archives during the SRHA convention, everyone is welcome to come to the archives "grand opening" at 10:00AM Saturday the 1st of June. Convention details are ln the SRHA web site at www.srha.net.

After NS moved out of the building, the people that purchased it contacted us for help with Southern Railway photos, maps, etc. to put in the lobby to recognize the history of the building. We sent them a good selection but the owner decided not to follow up.

Here are two photos from the archives:

In 40 years with Amtrak I was at the beautiful Southern Railway headquarters many times.  It doesn’t surprise me that they would have drawings of nearby parks. They were just very detail-oriented people.

[...]

Ike

Image removed by sender.

Cohen Bob

Perhaps more interestingly is where SR was located prior to this building, and why they relocated. The basics are fairly well-known (well, okay, maybe not THAT well-known) but where they were located is. Now there is a story: why did SR move after the big fire in their former HQ which I think was around 1925 if memory serves me and not rebuild just on the same site?

Bob Cohen

George Eichelberger

Bob:

At first, I thought you were talking about NYC before Sam Spencer and the headquarters moved to DC. Yes, there is a time “gap” between the move and the new building. I have not “stumbled” on a Presidents’ file about the new building but certainly, one exists. Perhaps the following Presidents’ files for Fairfax Harrison in the 1926 finding aids are a clue?

420

9682

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930 (4 Files)

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC.

(Folder 1 of 4)

420

9683

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC. (Folder 2 of 4)

420

9684

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC. (Folder 3 of 4)

420

9685

File No. 6207A, dated 1926-1930

Correspondence: Proposal of government to expropriate general

office building- 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington, DC. (Folder 4 of 4)

There are finding aids for every year of every Southern Railway President. The work was done by Ms. Sallie Loy with support from a grant from Norfolk Southern while Wick Moorman was President. SRHA cannot thank NS and Sallie enough for the effort! We need volunteers to revisit and update all of our finding aids. We can work with local university students if a grant can be obtained to pay them and for archives supplies.

Ike

On May 23, 2019, at 9:43 AM, Cohen Bob via Groups.Io <orl96782@...> wrote:

Perhaps more interestingly is where SR was located prior to this building, and why they relocated. The basics are fairly well-known (well, okay, maybe not THAT well-known) but where they were located is. Now there is a story: why did SR move after the big fire in their former HQ which I think was around 1925 if memory serves me and not rebuild just on the same site?

Bob Cohen

Cohen Bob

Ike:

The mystery and curiosity of mine is, after the disastrous fire, why did the SR not rebuild on the same site, albeit with a new structure, etc.? That is my mystery inquiry on this issue. The fire was well-documented at the time in the DC newspapers, occurring only a few blocks from the Washington Evening Star HQ building at the corner of 11th & Penna. Ave., NW.

Bob Cohen

Cohen Bob

Right after I hit send, a light dawned and here is perhaps why it wasn't rebuilt there: it was at the western end of the dawning Federal Triangle and perhaps the DC Commissioners, appointed by the President of the US, enticed SR in some way to build elsewhere closeby. Now the fact that the old SR site was not built upon until 60 or 70 years later is another story, but the Federal Triangle idea of government buildings located between Penna Ave. and Constitution Ave. and 6th to 15th Streets is a fact and today, the FTC, Archives, Dept. of Justice, IRS, Post Office (now converted into a hotel), ICC, Reagan Building, Commerce Department/s, all occupy that triangle ...... and a lot more in DC, but perhaps that was the reason for the relocation.

Who knows and yes, it might be buried in the Fairfax Harrison files somewhere in correspondence.

Bob

George Eichelberger

Bob:

We could use a time line….

When did the Southern move from NYC to DC,
Where was their first headquarters in Washington,
“a few blocks from” does not sound like 1300 PA Ave,
was “near the newspaper” before or after 1300?

It’s time to hit the Prez files!

Ike

On May 24, 2019, at 10:38 AM, Cohen Bob via Groups.Io <orl96782@...> wrote:

Ike:

The mystery and curiosity of mine is, after the disastrous fire, why did the SR not rebuild on the same site, albeit with a new structure, etc.? That is my mystery inquiry on this issue. The fire was well-documented at the time in the DC newspapers, occurring only a few blocks from the Washington Evening Star HQ building at the corner of 11th & Penna. Ave., NW.

Bob Cohen

Tim

The Southern Railway Building is on the national historic register, and the park service has a web page about it: https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/16000194.htm

According to that, the original building at the corner of 13th and Pennsylvania Ave. burned in 1916. It was replaced on site, but was demolished 10 years later for construction of the Federal Triangle. The "new" headquarters at 15th and K was built in 1928-29.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC