Topics

moderated What was disposition of Harry Borsum's slide collection

Jim King
 

Ken Miller answered my question a few days ago re: O H (Harry) Borsum but didn’t know what happened to his slide collection.  Ken’s research indicates that Harry died in 1996 at the age of 75.  I have several of Harry’s Southern slides taken in Monroe during the late 60s and have seen his photos in several books, including SOU and N&W related ones.  He was an avid passenger train/car photographer.  I’ve been told he has a photo spread in Southern in Color Vol 3 showing an office car special on the Murphy Branch.  A copy of that book is in-transit to me now.

 

Does someone know what happened to Harry’s slide collection?  Did Morning Sun buy it?

 

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

 


--
Jim King
http://smokymountainmodelworks.com

Bill Schafer
 

Jim:

The office car special on the Murphy Branch was photographed by Harry Bundy, who spent a career with, and retired from, Norfolk Southern. Harry went to college in western North Carolina and is an outstanding photographer. Much of his material appears in Kurt Reisweber’s Southern Railway in Color Vol. 3. You will be happy you made this purchase. 

Kurt’s Southern Railway in Color Vol. 4 is being laid out now and will be available later in 2020. It will feature Southern trains in some of Tennessee, most of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Illinois, Indiana, and a bit of Florida.

—Bill

On Feb 20, 2020, at 10:57 AM, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Ken Miller answered my question a few days ago re: O H (Harry) Borsum but didn’t know what happened to his slide collection.  Ken’s research indicates that Harry died in 1996 at the age of 75.  I have several of Harry’s Southern slides taken in Monroe during the late 60s and have seen his photos in several books, including SOU and N&W related ones.  He was an avid passenger train/car photographer.  I’ve been told he has a photo spread in Southern in Color Vol 3 showing an office car special on the Murphy Branch.  A copy of that book is in-transit to me now.
 
Does someone know what happened to Harry’s slide collection?  Did Morning Sun buy it?
 
Jim King
 

-- 
Jim King
http://smokymountainmodelworks.com

David Payne
 


Perhaps an office car special, but was that Harold Hall's "funeral train?"

David Payne


In a message dated 2/20/2020 10:57:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, jimking3@... writes:

I’ve been told he has a photo spread in Southern in Color Vol 3 showing an office car special on the Murphy Branch.  A copy of that book is in-transit to me now.

C J Wyatt
 

Harry Bundy was in college back in the sixties, I believe, so no.

Jack Wyatt

On Thursday, February 20, 2020, 02:14:27 PM EST, David Payne via Groups.Io <davidcofga@...> wrote:



Perhaps an office car special, but was that Harold Hall's "funeral train?"

David Payne


In a message dated 2/20/2020 10:57:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, jimking3@... writes:

I’ve been told he has a photo spread in Southern in Color Vol 3 showing an office car special on the Murphy Branch.  A copy of that book is in-transit to me now.

Bill Schafer
 

No - much earlier than that. November 24, 1963. The photographer chased the train from Almond to Enka on a glorious fall day. 

Another photographer, David Salter, also chased that train - different year, I think, but same idea. Eastbound from Almond to Enka. I don’t think his images have been published, though the weather was similar to the 1963 photos.

—Bill

On Feb 20, 2020, at 2:14 PM, David Payne via Groups.Io <davidcofga@...> wrote:


Perhaps an office car special, but was that Harold Hall's "funeral train?"

David Payne


In a message dated 2/20/2020 10:57:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, jimking3@... writes:

I’ve been told he has a photo spread in Southern in Color Vol 3 showing an office car special on the Murphy Branch.  A copy of that book is in-transit to me now.

David Payne
 



Thanks, Bill ... I should have checked the date first.
David

In a message dated 2/20/2020 2:27:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, bill4501@... writes:

No - much earlier than that. November 24, 1963. The photographer chased the train from Almond to Enka on a glorious fall day. 

Another photographer, David Salter, also chased that train - different year, I think, but same idea. Eastbound from Almond to Enka. I don’t think his images have been published, though the weather was similar to the 1963 photos.

—Bill

On Feb 20, 2020, at 2:14 PM, David Payne via Groups.Io <davidcofga@...> wrote:


Perhaps an office car special, but was that Harold Hall's "funeral train?"

David Payne


In a message dated 2/20/2020 10:57:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, jimking3@... writes:

I’ve been told he has a photo spread in Southern in Color Vol 3 showing an office car special on the Murphy Branch.  A copy of that book is in-transit to me now.

Jim King
 

Ooops, got the 2 Harry’s confused.  Thanks for clarifying, Bill.  The question still remains:  where did Harry Borsum’s slides end up?

 

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

 


--
Jim King
http://smokymountainmodelworks.com

O Fenton Wells
 

When I was working on my Smooth Side book, I tracked down a person who had some of Borsum's smooth side slides.  I tracked down his daughter and was told that he had passed and I think she gave me the lead for the new owner, not sure.
I can't find the email that I received from the gentleman who sent me good slides so that I could scan them.  I will see if I can find it and if so I'll send the info to you.  I'm not sure how many of Borsum's slides he had just that I was interested in the smooth side cars.
Fenton

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Ooops, got the 2 Harry’s confused.  Thanks for clarifying, Bill.  The question still remains:  where did Harry Borsum’s slides end up?

 

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

 


--
Jim King
http://smokymountainmodelworks.com



--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...